Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Ask a current Northeastern student!

Replies to: Ask a current Northeastern student!

• fallenchemistfallenchemist Honorary Super Mod Posts: 25,129 Inactive
    I think it is rather amusing that the person who started this thread never came back to answer a single question. Fortunately it has thrived anyway.
  • nathalie9325nathalie9325 Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    I took NEU as a saftey school and I even forgot to send them my SAT scores. Anways, its kinda weird but I got in to the business school (major in international business/German).. which I have no idea what it is...I randomly choose business slash german only bc I've study German for 6 years...since I failed on my other schools, I decide to enroll. Questions!

1) Can somebody please briefly tell me about my major and the college of business? how is the reputation? any advantage?
    2) Since I want to transfer after freshmen year, is it hard to get a GPA above 3.8 in the college of Business? (say I want to transfer to Ivy league so I need hard courses)
    3) How are the interactions between professors and students? hard to get recommendation letter? any research program in freshmen year?
    4) How is the swim team? debate club? theater club? student union?
    5) My friend says that the housing is really lame, is it true? how is the LLC of business?

Thanksss a lot!!!!!!!!
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 14,027 Senior Member
    Since you plan to transfer after freshman year, you would be better off enroling at a less expensive state school.
  • nathalie9325nathalie9325 Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    my other choice is case western.. :(
    I only applied two safety schools :(
    boston is way better
  • Light365Light365 Registered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
    How difficult would it be to switch from a Bio major to Poli Sci? I'm doing pre-med.
  • happyramenhappyramen Registered User Posts: 128 Junior Member
    How is the classroom experience, specifically for an engineer major? I know the class size will generally be around 30-70, but will the teachers know you on a more personal level? Will they just lecture you or will there also be hands on work and class participation?
    I know in some schools, some professors even give students their cell phone number, does northeastern do this? I've heard mixed comments about their advisors, but can you switch your advisor?
  • lastonetogo3lastonetogo3 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    Bus2012DVC.....I would recommend contacting a realtor that specializes in rental units. My son was off campus for two years just four blocks from NEU in a brownstone. My niece and nephew are subletting a condo in Chinatown that is beautiful. They all found these properties through a realtor. Most rentals right next to campus are low end and not well kept. Check classifieds as well. If you go through a realtor there is a one month commission paid to the realtor. Their rents are between 2800 and 4000 a month.
  • lastonetogo3lastonetogo3 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    Bethorama33...my son had one bolted to the top shelf of his closet when he was in Stetson. We had to pay a rental fee for it and it is worth it as his laptop fit into the safe.
  • nanotechnologynanotechnology Registered User Posts: 2,526 Senior Member
    @happyramen -
    It depends on the class. You will have classes that are just lecture, while others are more interactive. Your intro classes will be more lecture. But if you do stuff like go to office hours and answer questions, even in a big lecture, professors will hone in on that and you can make it more personal. Two weeks ago, my professor in biochem singled me out by name when everyone no one else raised their hand to answer a question because he said he knew I was good at this. I had no idea he even knew who I was! As for cell phones, no idea. It would depend on e prefossor, and I would only likely see that happening in a small seminar course.
    With advisors, they are assigned by major, so you don't have a choice. But you have a lot of advisors - a faculty advisor for questions in your major, an academic advisor for general class questions, a co-op advisor, etc., so there are a lot of places you can turn to. I had a particularly frustrating experience with my co-op advisor, but I was able to work with the co-op advisor for a different major to fix the problem.
  • Emily2007Emily2007 Registered User Posts: 981 Member
    How difficult would it be to switch from a Bio major to Poli Sci? I'm doing pre-med.

Not difficult to switch from bio to poli sci. Just keep in mind that being political science and pre-med means taking your pre-med reqs (2 semesters of bio, chem, organic, physics, all which have associated labs) on top of your political science credits. Goodbye electives :)
  • catsarecatscatsarecats Registered User Posts: 239 Junior Member
    Can I learn piano at NEU? I am a beginner and I want to learn piano as it is one of my big goals in college (along with learning my native language). Are they music classes that will help me. I wouldn't mind it if it was a minor.
  • PatchRadioPatchRadio Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
    How is the music industry program?
    What's the difference between that and the music technology program?
    How successful are graduated of the music industry program?
  • LightNarutoLightNaruto Registered User Posts: 21 New Member
    In engineering, can students do only 1 co-op instead of 2 or 3? Is the size of the school ever feel overwhelming and does it ever feel overcrowded? Can students choose their teachers and class times? How is Northeastern with regards to getting into grad school?
  • kaitanuvakaitanuva Registered User Posts: 77 Junior Member
    @happyramen
    How is the classroom experience, specifically for an engineer major? I know the class size will generally be around 30-70, but will the teachers know you on a more personal level? Will they just lecture you or will there also be hands on work and class participation?
    I know in some schools, some professors even give students their cell phone number, does northeastern do this? I've heard mixed comments about their advisors, but can you switch your advisor?

How personal you get with the professors is up to you. Most of them are welcome to further interactions.

My experience with my advisor as a sophomore EE has been nothing short of spectacular. He hooked me up with a dream co-op interview (which I aced and am currently in) when things weren't going so well for me.
  • happyramenhappyramen Registered User Posts: 128 Junior Member
    So I know that after sophomore year they will put you on a track where half the kids do spring co-op, the other does fall co-op. In engineering, can you choose which track you want to be in?
This discussion has been closed.