Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

Ask a current Northeastern student!

jojomojojojomojo Registered User Posts: 51 Junior Member
edited November 2013 in Northeastern University
Hi everyone,

I'm a current freshman at Northeastern in the Honors Program and an undeclared major. I've had a pretty good semester, if you have any questions about NEU please ask away!
Post edited by jojomojo on

Replies to: Ask a current Northeastern student!

• nanotechnologynanotechnology Registered User Posts: 2,526 Senior Member
    Why does you location have Cornell?
  • benaiirbenaiir Registered User Posts: 91 Junior Member
    What is social life like? How would you describe NEU culture? What classes are you taking?
  • darabaldwindarabaldwin Registered User Posts: 28 New Member
    Do you like the honors program? I was invited to join, but I honestly have no idea if I should do it.
  • FormyfutureFormyfuture Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    How is life at international village? From my understanding, all honors students live here
  • Jazmine1423Jazmine1423 Registered User Posts: 449 Member
    I was accepted into the honors program and although living in IV seems wonderful I am worried that I will not be able to bond very much with my floor mates like other people in the regular freshman dorms and I will not be able to socialize as much as I would like. What is your take on this? Is it easy for honors students to make friends (even close friends) with people not in honors?
  • cecilia87cecilia87 Registered User Posts: 187 Junior Member
    Do people hang out with kids from harvard, BU, MIT, or BC??? Like go to other schools' tailgates, football games, homecoming that kinda stuff??
  • JennyLeannJennyLeann Registered User Posts: 149 Junior Member
    How often do students receive substantial scholarships?
    I would say Northeastern is generous with merit aid- I applied Early Action and if you go to the results thread most of the accepted students received some sort of merit aid.
    I think the lowest was 5,000 or 10,000 and the highest was 20,000 and then there are a few people that get into Torch Scholars(full ride) and University Scholars(full tuition.) Good luck!
  • laurenrplaurenrp Registered User Posts: 207 Junior Member
    don't mean to hijack the thread but I am also a current Northeastern student!!
    I'm in my third year and I can give some insight to the Northeastern social life.

let me shorten your thoughts for you: if you think NU lacks a social life, you're very wrong. NU is a very diverse school. as a freshman I guarantee there will be something to do every weekend. we do attend other people's parties, but ocassionally throw our own (sports teams parties are popular, as are off campus parties).
    as for interacting with people from other schools, it's all about what friends you have. no, we don't waltz over to BU or MCPHS and let ourselves in to make friends. if you meet people from Harvard, BC, MIT, etc. and stay friends with them, then you have a connection to that college. but no, we don't typically attend other school's games and stuff. a few people do, but that's probably because they're friends do.
    Again, the social life at Northeastern is what you make of it. it completely depends on your group of friends-- if you're a sporty group, if you like frats, if you like going clubbing with rich international students, if you're a dorm room pothead (don't do that. I know someone who got expelled).
    but there is never nothing to do. as a freshman, hang out on campus and do stupid freshman things like hot and crowded parties. if thats not your thing- you're in Boston. someone will invite you somewhere. I've met friends in the Boston commons only to find out they go to nu for example.
  • seniorgal13seniorgal13 Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
    Anyone know how the pharmD program is like and its co-op? Do most students have jobs?
  • momo1616momo1616 Registered User Posts: 185 Junior Member
    If you want to, are you allowed to dorm there for all 4 yrs?
  • corie26corie26 Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    can someone please help me! I cant remember my username for the MyNEU account...did they assign us a username like firstname, lastname or did we choose our own?
  • corie26corie26 Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    nevermind i found it, for anyone wondering its lastname.[first initial]
  • wilberry228wilberry228 Registered User Posts: 396 Member
    momo freshmen and sophomores are required to live on campus. It's done by lottery though (except for freshmen, which is assigned to you based on when you get your deposits in and what you request, or if you're in honors, etc) but upperclassmen are not guaranteed lottery numbers. Many choose to move off campus anyway, as there are so many off campus buildings intermingled with the ones that are owned by Northeastern. However, hopefully Northeastern's plan to increase on campus housing space (renovations in the YMCA may help) will be successful. But I wouldn't make a decision to attend or not to attend based on this - aside from how it's paid, much of the off campus housing is very similar to the on-campus for older students.
This discussion has been closed.