right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

IMPORTANT NEWS: CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new, modern forum platform with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return by Friday, Nov. 27 at 2:00pm ET. Read more about this here!

Freshman Engineering Schedule! Help!

khelen5140khelen5140 0 replies3 threads New Member
edited August 2013 in Northeastern University
Hi,
I'm an incoming freshman majoring in undecided engineering.
I took IB HL Physics and IB HL Math in high school.
I think I did pretty well in these classes... got straight A's all two years
Perfect scores on physics IA's and decent scores on math IA's.
and got a 6 in Physics and a 5 in Math (I was expecting a 6 in math though...)
so I've gotten credits for the first year engineering physics and calculus classes.
My concern is that if I decide to skip fist year physics and calc classes, I would miss out on some stuff and not develop a firm math&physics foundation...

Would it be better to just take those classes instead of taking harder classes which I may not be ready for and risking my GPA??
Honestly, although my scores are telling me that I did fairly well on the subjects, I'm not feeling too confident about my mathematical/physics skills and knowledge...
Please help!!
edited August 2013
2 replies
Post edited by khelen5140 on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Freshman Engineering Schedule! Help!

• kiddiekiddie 4084 replies260 threads Senior Member
    You need to check the calculus syllabus for the classes you are skipping and compare them to the calculus you took. My daughter found that the calc 2 for science and engineering almost totally skipped series and instead did some multivariable calc instead.
    · Reply · Share
  • nanotechnologynanotechnology 2503 replies23 threads Senior Member
    The tricky part with physics is that ou get credit for calculus-based physics. I'm not sure what your HL physics class was like, but in mine calculus wasn't a requirement, and it wasn't really calculus-based. I have heard, though, that even in the calculus-based physics class at NU you don't really use a lot of calc. Have you talked to an advisor
    From my experience with calculus, I took SL calc but took the AP test, then took a Calculus an Analytic Geometry class at my local university my senio year. I took Calc 3 with no problems at NU.
    I would talk to your advisor, and also see if they can put you in contact with someone who was in a similar situation before.
    From my experience with IB, though, I came into college really well prepared and found my first year to be much easier than IB!
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity