Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Top Choice

2»

Replies to: Top Choice

• scansmomscansmom Registered User Posts: 1,553 Senior Member
    My S received both a Dean's scholarship which requires him to maintain a 3.0 GPA, and a grant. In order to keep his grant each year, he will need to resubmit a FAFSA; I don't recall if we were told the same about the scholarship. I had always viewed the first as merit aid and the second as financial aid. Are you saying that many of these scholarships are actually financial aid? (ie the amount was determined by need, not his high school grades/tests). I actually have felt that they may be a combination since I have also heard of a few instances where honors students received less scholarship money than non-honors students.
  • ebeeeeeebeeeee Registered User Posts: 5,199 Senior Member
    I think we are dealing with a semantics problem here. Rated PG, I think you are actually right. The bottom line is that there is need based aid and merit based aid no matter what you call them. Not sure I agree with previous poster that the school actually gives merit to less qualified applicants becaues they will get more tuition when the merit based applicant can't keep up the gpa. That seems a bit of a stretch to me.
2»
This discussion has been closed.