Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Multiple Questions from Rising Senior

2»

Replies to: Multiple Questions from Rising Senior

• Emily2007Emily2007 Registered User Posts: 981 Member
    It's always better to apply EA as far as acceptance. But I think you'd get in early or regular.

Applying early is just way more convenient. Senior year all my friends spent winter break writing essays and feeling stressed about the january deadlines. I spent my winter break eating christmas cookies and thinking about deciding between my two acceptances.
  • RatedPGRatedPG Registered User Posts: 1,079 Senior Member
    Apply early. Show interest in the Honors program (visit more than once if you can, attend information sessions on the Honors program, etc.)

If by some chance you did not get into Honors (which I doubt), you could appeal before making your decision, and tell them it is a deciding factor on whether or not you will attend NEU. I don't think you mentioned what other schools you are applying to?
  • bobbymcprescottbobbymcprescott Registered User Posts: 114 Junior Member
    How would you suggest I show interest in the Honors Program? I am visiting NEU in July, and I will attend an Engineering Wednesday and hopefully have a meeting with an engineering professor there, but since I am in PA and have a busy lifestyle, I do not think I will be able to visit more than once.

As for other schools I am applying to, I am most likely applying to Penn State (both of my parents, my sisters, my brothers-in-law, and several cousins have gone there), Bucknell, Northwestern, Carnegie Mellon, and maybe MIT and Caltech as far reaches.
    When you visit on Engineering Wednesday, they will have an info session on the Honors program. Attend the info session and get email addresses of the representatives (preferably the faculty members, not the students ... or you could get both). Correspond with them periodically by asking questions that show interest in the program. It may not help, but it can't hurt. When my daughter attended Engineering Wednesday, she hit it off with a professor that was leading a discussion on Women in Engineering. My daughter sent her a follow up letter (not email) expressing how much she enjoyed meeting this professor, etc. etc. Several months later when we attended the admitted students open house, we bumped into this professor and when my daughter went up to her and told her her name and that we had met months before the professor said " oh yes I remember you, you sent me a really nice letter". It may not have helped her get into Honors at all... but it can't hurt.
    to ratedPG: What time was the honors info session on Engineering Wednesday? Was it after the general session? The reason that I am asking is that I actually am in the process of setting up a meeting with Rachelle Reisberg (maybe the same professor you were talking about), and I want to make sure that the meeting is not conflicting with the honors info session.
    to bobby:

actually it was a few years ago so I don't really remember when the Honors session was.
    Do they have any sort of itinerary on line? Or perhaps when you set up the meeting with Rachelle you could tell her you want to be sure to attend the Honors session, she will be sure to know the schedule of events.
    I couldn't find an itinerary but I emailed Professor Reisberg, saying that i was interested in honors, so hopefully we can work something out in terms of time for setting up the meeting

to emily: So you heard acceptance from NEU by Christmas break with EA?
  • blinkangel44blinkangel44 Registered User Posts: 1,159 Senior Member
    Bobby- I applied EA this past year and I received e-mail notification on 12/18.
2»
This discussion has been closed.