Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

MT Director Retiring

kardankardan Registered User Posts: 61 Junior Member
I understand Dominic Missimi will be stepping down at the end of this academic year (June 2010). Does anyone know who will be taking over and how this will affect or change the program?
Post edited by kardan on

Replies to: MT Director Retiring

• edmondsgedmondsg Registered User Posts: 305 Junior Member
    I don't remember seeing an official announcement, but from what I've heard and according to this article Bell Named Donald G. Robertson Professor of Music Theatre : Northwestern University Newscenter, David Bell has been named Director of MT, which will be a very positive thing for the program.

David is an award-winning director and choreographer and a wonderful person. I should let an NU student or faculty member give the detail, but my son is a senior and has been David's student since '06, and has performed in productions with him as director, both at NU and in regional theater. David has been a wonderful mentor and my son thinks very highly of him.
  • perischackperischack Registered User Posts: 197 Junior Member
    My son is currently a freshman at NU and also has nothing but wonderful things to say about David. He, too, is of the understanding that David will succeed Dominic, and he is very much looking forward to working with him.
  • kardankardan Registered User Posts: 61 Junior Member
    Sounds like the transition will be seamless and led by a true veteran
  • CA GriffinCA Griffin Registered User Posts: 539 Member
    kardan......I thought I'd jump in to this conversation also. My son is a junior and friends with edmondsg and perischack's sons. David Bell is remarkable to work with ...... I'm sure the program will grow and thrive with him at the helm. And I'm guessing Dominic will remain close by, working on projects....etc.
  • anne1244anne1244 Registered User Posts: 267 Junior Member
    I heard third hand that David Bell is leaving, too. Anyone have more information?
    No, and I can't imagine that happening anytime soon. Are you an NU student or parent, or neither?
  • anne1244anne1244 Registered User Posts: 267 Junior Member
    Neither. I heard this via an alum who is ostensibly tight with the theatre department. I am asking since it was second hand information.
    I doubt this is true since he was just granted tenure. Maybe it was a consideration before that -- not sure.
    Just want to qualify that the information in my last post did not come to me directly, but through students, and I have not tried to verify it. If I hear any official announcements, I will share them.
    At an NU event I attended in NYC last week that was related to the Senior Showcase, Dominic Missimi informally mentioned (while thanking the audience for coming) that he'd only be Director of MT for a little while longer and that David Bell would be taking over soon. So there you go. David isn't going anywhere -- how do these rumors get started??
  • amtcamtc Registered User Posts: 2,864 Senior Member
    Last night was an amazing retirement tribute to Dominic, it was a gala filled onstage with Northwestern alumni from Broadway and Chicago musical theatre, current MT students and directors, composer, lyricists, etc. It was wonderful, I was so happy to attend. The torch has been passed to David Bell who is fantastic (and the reason my daughter chose Northwestern) but you haven't seen the last of Dominic, I feel pretty certain of that!
    I agree on all counts. Last night was unbelievable. I was speechless over the level of talent on that stage -- every one of the performers was phenomenal, and even the presenters were entertaining. I was so proud of Northwestern, and that my son is graduating from there in a few weeks. Dominic was so gracious, and yes, I suspect he'll be on campus for various projects for a long time to come (and at the Marriott, of course)!
This discussion has been closed.