Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

ISP Program - how difficult is it to get in?

xcloudyxcloudy Registered User Posts: 259 Junior Member
edited February 2012 in Northwestern University
What kind of stats do they look for? I got an email from the ISP program, but seeing as I think Northwestern itself is a reach for me, I'm hesitant on applying (I'm assuming they just send them to everyone who specifies a math/science major). What kind of average stats do they look for?

I also haven't taken the SAT IIs they require for Math II, Physics, nor Chem, though I believe I can do well on the first two (700+)...
Post edited by xcloudy on

Replies to: ISP Program - how difficult is it to get in?

• WantBrownPLMEWantBrownPLME Registered User Posts: 89 Junior Member
    you can list your stats first
  • pneumoconiosispneumoconiosis Registered User Posts: 22 New Member
    I got this e-mail as well. I haven't taken the Physics or Chem tests (but I got a 760 on Math II), so I doubt I'll be applying to this program unless I want to cram for them. Does sound nice, though.
  • WantBrownPLMEWantBrownPLME Registered User Posts: 89 Junior Member
    you can ask for "qualification"

If you have questions about your qualifications and preparation please don't hesitate to contact the ISP Program Coordinator at (847) 491-7219 or ispadmin@u.northwestern.edu
  • xcloudyxcloudy Registered User Posts: 259 Junior Member
    UW GPA: 3.9/4
    Weighted: 4.56
    Rank #7/540
    Math-heavy courseload

SAT Superscore: 740 M, 760 CR, 740 W (2240)
    SAT II: 740 M1, 780 USH

4 years photojournalism with a few awards
    Key Club President
    Academic Decathalon
    Some other random EC here and there
    Female Pakistani (I specified "Asian")

^ My EC are particularly lacking, which is why I'm even iffy about NU itself. I have an ACT of 33 and AP Scores for USH, Human Geog, and English Lang (5, 5, 4) but I haven't sent them; don't think they'd affect anything much anyways.
  • nwang229nwang229 Registered User Posts: 48 Junior Member
    I got an email about the program to...does getting one mean anything at all as far as my chances of actually getting into northwestern?
  • VivisteViviste Registered User Posts: 268 Junior Member
    No. I'm 95% sure it is a mass email sent out to most - if not all - science/engineer applicants whose indicated major lines up with any part of the ISP curriculum.
  • nwang229nwang229 Registered User Posts: 48 Junior Member
    Yeah...ive sorta come to that conclusion too lol
  • Sam LeeSam Lee Registered User Posts: 9,449 Senior Member
    They just want to send it out so you are aware of its existence. Getting in is not difficult but keeping up with it is. Lots of Goldwater/NSF grants..etc recipients had come out of this program; if you go by awards like these per capita, it'd the best science program in the country.
This discussion has been closed.