Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Party Scene

Replies to: Party Scene

• classclownclassclown Registered User Posts: 298 Junior Member
    Hi Sam. By "hotter" I mean a faster rising trend. NU is a great school, it's just not on par with most, if not all, Ivy League schools for jobs and reputations. It is well known in Chicago for jobs, but not as well know on the east and west coasts.

I would say that Emory and Tufts have equal reputations in all areas but the Midwest, especially for jobs. The same may even be true for BC on the east coast. Sure, it is easy to generalize but one must look beyond that and polls like USNWR.
  • CentralFCCentralFC Registered User Posts: 412 Member
    It's not on par with most Ivies for jobs and reputations?

1. Harvard
    2. Stanford
    3. Yale
    4. University of Cambridge
    5. Columbia
    6. Northwestern
    7. MIT
    8. Oxford
    9. HEC Paris
    10. University of Chicago

These are the top ten schools that the world's most influential and successful companies choose from.

Do some research before you throw out misinformed statements like that.
  • GwashfadzyGwashfadzy Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    What do rankings have to do with the party scene?
    I am seeing very biased replies from only Northwestern grads or students...hmmm. In the Midwest, Northwestern is definitely a powerhouse. I will grant you that. Not as much on the east and west coasts. Just ask 10 people on the street in each state and you will see what I mean about reputation. Forget the one or 2 polls cited. I stand by this..NU does not carry the same reputation as Ivy League schools..especially when it allows many athletes in with low grades and scores compared to athletic index used by the Ivies (and schools like Emory, Tufts, Rochester)..plus the party scene at Northwestern is not that great, especially given that Evanston was a "dry" town until recently...Also, purple colors??? lol.
  • CalmamaCalmama Registered User Posts: 198 Junior Member
    ^ Now, now, let's not get testy! I live in California and everyone I know raves about Northwestern!!! There is a large percentage of students from California in the student population:
    Applying to Northwestern: Office of Undergraduate Admission - Northwestern University
    (I might add that there are also quite a few from the Northeast according to this map)
  • Sam LeeSam Lee Registered User Posts: 9,449 Senior Member
    clown,
    Whether NU is on par with certain Ivies is a matter of opinion. I can give you that. But for most people, not just those in the midwest, if there were any gap between NU and some of the Ivies, it would be smaller than the gap between NU and Tufts/BC. You can't deny (forget) mountain of data (not just 1 or 2 polls as you thought) out there that say that's the case: various US and World rankings, NYT employer survey, test scores, faculty awards, academic reputation (look at the US News scores above; it can't be more obvious), recruiting websites from top MC firms (Bains, Boston Consulting Groups, McKinsey, Booz & Co in case you have zero idea what I am talking about)....etc.

I agree that athletes at NU typically get more breaks than those in the Ivies but Stanford, Duke, and Notre Dame also have the same thing.
    "if there were any gap between NU and Ivies, it would be smaller than the gap between NU and Tufts/BC"

Paleassse. Still drinking that Purple Kool-aid? I just don't buy it...sorry.
    ow exactly are we biased? We do like Northwestern, yes, but we're only using the opinions and statistics provided by experts on colleges and post-graduate success. If anything, you're biased. You're just pulling things out of your ass. You can't say things like "Just ask 10 people on the street in each state and you will see what I mean about reputation. Forget the one or 2 polls cited. I stand by this..NU does not carry the same reputation as Ivy League schools." You're telling us forget the polls surveying colleges and employers, and to instead rely on people who know nothing about colleges to give their opinion. No one cares what the general public has to say about this. The general public has nothing to do with the value of a school. To them, Northwestern may not have the reputation that Ivy League schools have, but to employers and peer institutions, Northwestern is among the Ivies, as shown by Forbes, New York Times, and US News (look at their methodology). It is clear, using expert opinions and data, that Northwestern's reputation is among the best in the world. Your man-on-the-street survey may not agree, but it has absolutely no relevance to employment, reputations that matter, and quality of education.

How can you be so stubborn? You're basing everything on unsupported observations and hunches. We "biased" people are using relevant data.

No Need to get that upset and resort to profanity. How about this. ask the top 3 students at each of the best high schools in the country or world and see where they apply and rank as the schools with the best reputations. I am just trying to be honest. And, I appreciate it if u don't refer to my derrier anymore or I will report a problem post. And, I am surprised that people cite the USNWR as the high authority on the matter.. Reputations are based on various opinions from different sources...
  • TessamessTessamess Registered User Posts: 29 New Member
    ****... Who hasn't a clue of what he/she is talking about.. NOT worth the time y'all!
    I'm from one of those coastal areas and NU > than BC/Tufts in many areas when brought up in conversation..
    All are great choices...
    At your school (no Tufts & BC; Northwestern is one of the only few undergrad program on the list)
    Join Bain & Company: School welcome > Bain on your campus > Apply to Bain (look at number of alums; zero Tufts alum)
    BCG - Learn about events, application procedures, and recruiting teams on campus (Tufts/BC are not on the list)
    ask the top 3 students at each of the best high schools in the country or world and see where they apply and rank as the schools with the best reputations.

Opinion of high schoolers that need mammas and papas to feed them? You standard is pretty low.
  • eagle69eagle69 - Posts: 364 Member
    Trust me. BCs party scene is way better than NUs. Girls are way more attractive and although freshmen males can have a tough time at first, you'll definitely find ways. The mods basically act like frats
  • arbiter213arbiter213 Registered User Posts: 3,572 Senior Member
    As for this debate and the ridiculous claims being thrown around: I'm from the Northeast and lived in the midwest (which, btw, represents quite a large portion of the country). No one in the midwest had any idea what Tufts or Emory were. NU has a stellar reputation in the Northeast, the others have good but not as good reputations. I was told Emory was a safety for me coming out of high school, and I wasn't even top 10% of my class. This was at one of the top high schools in the country.

Yay, anecdotal evidence! That's what you like right? Or should I just make things up. Here, I'll try: Word on the street is that 87% of all cross admitted applicants choose NU over Emory and Tufts, and 95% choose NU over BC. Don't believe me? Just go ask any student admitted to all of them.
    Hey Eagle69, this is the type of response you get from an NU person, just like the referral to "ass." NU is a great school but it still does not have the reputation of the Ivies..Yes, it is more nerdy than BC and the party scene is not even close, which was the initial question. I am sure arbiter is an NU grad. The attacks are just forms of insecurity because NU is not an Ivy. I lived in Evanston for many years. While not as nerdy as U of C, NU has its fair share. It has a very high Asian studious population that helps the school with its fine academic reputation. That doesn't help its party scene though. As for applicants, I feel there should be a ratio to the size of the school and the number of applicants. NU has much more slots than some of the schools cited above. It is a Big Ten school. All very large. So, the cited analysis is faulty in that regard.
    "No one in the midwest had any idea what Tufts or Emory were. NU has a stellar reputation in the Northeast, the others have good but not as good reputations. I was told Emory was a safety for me coming out of high school, and I wasn't even top 10% of my class. This was at one of the top high schools in the country. "

But you got in to NU and u weren't in the top 10% of your class? Hmmm. Emory a safety school??? lol. You shouldn't throw stones. Just because someone has a legitimate opinion they are a ****. Okay, I understand now.
This discussion has been closed.