Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Deferred-chances?

srfvbasrfvba Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
edited March 2012 in Northwestern University
I was one of the very few deferred ED applicants from this past fall. I know NU only offers admission to a few deferred applicants, but if there is anyone who was deferred/accepted or knows anyone for whom that was the case, it would be greatly appreciated to get your advice. Other deferred applicants, please comment as well so I know you're out there! :)
Post edited by srfvba on

Replies to: Deferred-chances?

• momof3sonsmomof3sons Registered User Posts: 5,116 Senior Member
    I know someone very well who was deferred and then accepted in a previous year. :) It was made very clear that mid-year grades would be a huge factor. You are right that they defer VERY few students so they are serious about who they defer.
  • srfvbasrfvba Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    That's great to hear! Gives me hope! Do you know how drastically he/she raised their GPA for the midyear report?
  • momof3sonsmomof3sons Registered User Posts: 5,116 Senior Member
    It was a matter of keeping up the good grades and raising one grade, in Calculus, which was a very weak subject for this student. I don't suppose that guarantees admission, but my understanding is that NU is very transparent in their deferrals since they issue so few. I have only heard that they defer for grades.
  • srfvbasrfvba Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    Rejected! if there were any deferred applicants who ended up getting accepted, please let me know. I've set my sights on other schools, but I think Northwestern deferring people is ridiculous. I would much rather have been rejected in December if I knew all the work and the waiting I was subjected to was going to lead to more disappointment.
  • ahcollegeahcollege Registered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
    I was accepted as a deferred ED applicant! I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get in, srfvba.
This discussion has been closed.