Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Art/Painting/Illustration classes offered in NU?

Collegel0lCollegel0l Registered User Posts: 116 Junior Member
edited February 2012 in Northwestern University
I've totally fallen in love with NU. However, they seem to pride themselves on theater and music, but I haven't seen any mention of painting or that sort of art. Do they offer classes of this type?
Post edited by Collegel0l on

Replies to: Art/Painting/Illustration classes offered in NU?

• arbiter213arbiter213 Registered User Posts: 3,572 Senior Member
    NU has one of the best Art History departments in the country. There is an Art Theory and Practice major, as well as an adjunct major in Animate Arts (I knew one person who did it), though neither are particular strengths of NU, especially as compared to peers such as, say, Brown-RISD, Yale, and WUSTL-Fox.

So yes, you absolutely can take those courses and major in them, but it is not a strength at NU.
  • Collegel0lCollegel0l Registered User Posts: 116 Junior Member
    Awesome, thanks!

I'm liking WUSTL too :)
  • arbiter213arbiter213 Registered User Posts: 3,572 Senior Member
    Best of luck- my sister studied art at the Fox School (WUSTL) and had a very positive experience in the program.
  • MomCaresMomCares Registered User Posts: 3,146 Senior Member
    I know nothing about visual arts training at NU, but I remember seeing art studio space in some of the dorms. I'd also assume there is fantastic training for scenic artists, since the theatre program is so strong, plus I think there are Tony-winning designers on the faculty.
This discussion has been closed.