Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

NU Chance Me?

2»

Replies to: NU Chance Me?

• Adezar1Adezar1 User Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 72 Junior Member
    =====================Chance Me's are dumb. Thread closed==================
  • AJB1993AJB1993 Registered User Posts: 74 Junior Member
    Try to get at least a 34 ACT (or 2250+ SAT w/ 800 in math), and retake the math 2c and you should be good (unless your essays are horrible). In your essay, make sure to use specific examples from your visit to NU (don't just use stuff from the website-- take notes on what tour guides and counselors in the info sessions say). The essay plays a big role, so make sure you write it as if it's your first choice school. If it really is your first choice school, don't be afraid to apply ED. The new dean of admissions is increasing ED acceptances by a lot each year because they want students who want to be at NU and who will be a good fit there, and their RD acceptances are going down by a lot. (The fact that they want more kids who have NU as their first choice should show you that your essay better show that you took some serious interest in the university and that you're not just applying because it's a really good school).

Also, I feel that the NU's engineering school is A LOT harder to get into that its other schools. It almost seems random, and many students who seem to have amazing science/math ECs, great grades overall, amazing test scores, etc. don't get in (thus added importance on your essay). Taking the difficulty of getting into engineering into account, you might want to consider applying ED.
  • lucky010lucky010 Registered User Posts: 29 New Member
    Did you get into NU through ED?
  • adezar2adezar2 Registered User Posts: 90 Junior Member
    Yeah, i ended up applying with a 35 ACT instead of 33, so that was the difference from what you see there....

Tbh if I could go back, I'd probably go to a more chill school. The quarter system is too intense.
  • tytonidaetytonidae Registered User Posts: 34 Junior Member
    @adezar2 tell me more. DD is interested and we've visited campus many times. She's got high stats but the impression I get is its crushing.
  • adezar2adezar2 Registered User Posts: 90 Junior Member
    Really depends on your course of study; I'm engineering
This discussion has been closed.