Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Transferring to Northwestern from community college?

MalcontentMalcontent Registered User Posts: 57 Junior Member
edited June 2012 in Northwestern University
Hey everyone, I graduated from high school in 2011, but because of personal issues that severely affected my high school GPA, I took a semester off from college and was forced by my parents to take classes at my drab and unchallenging community college. So far, I'm doing much better and I'll be a sophomore by the end of fall semester with a 4.0, so I was considering applying to transfer for spring 2013 (or would I be better off waiting to apply for fall 2013?), but I'm afraid that my high school record and lack of extracurriculars will overshadow my current school performance (granted, standards there are a bit lower) and decent SAT scores, especially considering Northwestern's transfer acceptance rate is even lower than its general acceptance rate.

Here's some of my basic info:
Major: Computer engineering
Unweighted HS GPA: 2.7
Current College GPA: 4.0
SAT Math: 670 (Strongly considering retaking to bring this score up, especially considering my major)
SAT Critical Reading: 730
SAT Writing: 710
APs: Psychology (5), English Language and Composition (4) [I'm aware NWU doesn't take 4s for Language]
Extracurriculars: Not much, though I do do frequent volunteer work

Right now, NWU is one of my "reach" schools, so if you guys think that I wouldn't be a good fit or that I have no chance of getting in, fell free let me know; I promise you won't be crushing my dreams or anything.
Post edited by Malcontent on

Replies to: Transferring to Northwestern from community college?

• yomaxeyomaxe Registered User Posts: 106 Junior Member
    hey I want to transfer to NU too from a CC! (a california one)

are you for junior or sophomore transfer?
  • MalcontentMalcontent Registered User Posts: 57 Junior Member
    I'm not really sure yet. I'll probably try for doing it as a junior, possibly for the fall of 2013, but I'm not completely decided yet.

I'm trying to transfer from a CC in South Carolina. I've done a bit more research and it looks like my chances of getting in are almost zero due to my high school record, but I'm still going to apply eventually.
This discussion has been closed.