Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Can I get into Northwestern

2»

Replies to: Can I get into Northwestern

• Ahp1994Ahp1994 Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    I strongly suggest taking the Sat or act again. As an unhooked white female your odds are quite low and I might suggest using your ED card elsewhere if you have another contender with slightly easier admissions standards. The bottom quartile is principally comprised of athletes, Urms, and other special admits such as musicians. The sat 2s are given minimal consideration at NU for your intended majors. Private tutoring can really help on the standardized tests. Each point on the composite really makes a difference given an otherwise stellar record.

On the other hand, if you really do not have a second choice apply ED but be prepared to attend a flagship state university.
  • arbiter213arbiter213 Registered User Posts: 3,572 Senior Member
    Probably a no, for reasons addressed (test scores) unless you can tell a very compelling story. ED makes it more likely but still likely no. I'm sorry to say, you seem like a good, hardworking girl.

The good news is law schools do not care at all where you go to UG. Get a 4.0 in college and kill the LSAT, if you want to go to law school. But don't go to law school.
  • Kenna13Kenna13 Registered User Posts: 36 Junior Member
    I will not attend a flagship state university, and I realize my act is low, but even if I had a 36 act my chances would still be low for NU. So thanks for the response, but this is my dream school, and all I can do at this point is try to in them over with my essay. I knew from the beginning my chances were low, I was just hoping for some advice, other than bring up your test scores, about how I could make my application stand out. But if that's all I can do then I guess I have to wait and see.
  • blackremotesblackremotes Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    I came from a very similar background. Small all-girl catholic school (my class was only 43, though), good GPA, volunteer hours, and an okay ACT.

Seriously, take the ACT again. I got in with a 31 ED, and my stats were very similar to yours. And studies show that if you take a test again, your score will go up by at least one point. And that one point makes a huge difference.

But, you don't have a hook. And in today's admissions climate, it seems that hooks can make or break a decision - especially ED.

So, I would suggest writing an essay that really reveals something about yourself that they can't find anywhere else on their application. Even within my tiny class, the people that basically elaborated on their own accomplishments didn't do as well as those that were creative and personal. And be personal with your "Why NU" essay. It seems like you know a lot about the school and really love it, make sure that comes across - but don't just rewrite the wikipedia page.

I feel like, as others have said, you're a really bright student with a great future ahead of you, but I don't think you're a surefire acceptee at this point. I wish you all the best, and if you're supposed to end up at NU, you will.
    I am going to take the sat in september and see how that goes. I already improved on my act by seven points and I can tell i can't improve further. I am trying to present myself as being really dedicated to music. Kind of a musical future lawyer so they can understand my passions and get a description of me, if that makes since. I have been published as a writer so I hope that means I am a good writer enough to convey how much I want this. And thanks again.
    I mean October not September.
  • Wildcat2016Wildcat2016 Registered User Posts: 138 Junior Member
    Uhm please don't stress. As someone who only took 2 years of language and is currently in a summer program where MANY of the kids got below a 30 on their ACT, don't sweat what you can't change. Come off as you love the school and you'll be accepted.
  • lagunallagunal Registered User Posts: 600 Member
    If you are seriously thinking about a future tie to the arts by connecting it with law... then you probably should consider filling out the Arts Supplement. It is hard to tell from your ECS (2 choirs, 2- musicals, alto section leader, drama club) how much talent you have, but if you have really good video of you in your musicals and choir concerts, you can create a movie, upload it to Youtube and present it in the Common App under Arts Supplement. It will consist of an arts resume, an art teacher's recommendation and your private link to a youtube site (your ten minute or under movie of yourself showing off your talent).

The nice thing about the performing arts is that you can use stuff from pre-high school on your video and resume. So if you were in your church choir in middle school or went to a choir or musical theatre camp, took private voice lessons, etc, that can be used to enhance your resume, too.

This would tie into your main essay of a connection between your future dream job and the arts. IF this is truly a passion.

Get an honest opinion though of your performance on stage. If it is below average, you really do not want to present it. Show only what you do well. Otherwise it can hurt your chances.
    Good idea. Thanks
  • PieceofToastPieceofToast Registered User Posts: 253 Junior Member
    High School Applicant FAQs: Office of Undergraduate Admission - Northwestern University

I'm afraid they don't accept the Arts Supplement. But, if that's a big part of your life and a significant part of your talents, then you could emphasize it in the paragraph where you're allowed to expand upon a particular talent of yours. If it's been a significant part of your life, and you've really had some unique and awesome experiences there, then you could even write your common application essay about how singing has impacted your life.

Since NU really is your number one, there's no point in spouting discouraging comments--might as well offer up what advice we can!

Looking at your stats again, I feel like there's a lot in your extracurriculars that isn't showing through properly. If your school's as competitive as it sounds, there's probably someone in the guidance office that can really help you with your resum
    My English teacher, is the one who is helping me with my essays, and wrote my recommendation. I think I am going to talk about my cousin in my common app essay, because she is so important to my everyday life and has down syndrome, I put music as one of the ways I am going to participate outside of the classroom in my why northwestern essay. and emphasized that and mock trial team.
  • PieceofToastPieceofToast Registered User Posts: 253 Junior Member
    All right, that sounds good. Just make sure that your essay is still about you, and not just your cousin! It's to see another side of you, after all. :) I won't bother about the Why NU bit, I'm sure you already know exactly what draws you in. Just make sure that you give unique examples that made you interested. Anyone can look a school up on Wikipedia, after all. I'd still recommend doing the extracurricular resume with someone else--a lot goes into those sentence fragments that describe your 'position/achievements/awards' or whatever they're supposed to be. You don't need to use complete sentences there, in my opinion. Just write as concisely and effectively as possible. Go on an ego trip and talk up your achievements in the two lines that'll fit into that box!

Oh, and definitely review the pdf before sending it off. Things get cut off a lot, and they can line break in funny places.
  • collegeapps123collegeapps123 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    My D has similar profiles for grades and ACT. Did you apply ED and did you get in ?
    Yes I applied ED. No, I did not get in.
  • zephyr15zephyr15 Registered User Posts: 2,298 Senior Member
    Good luck wherever you wind up!!!
This discussion has been closed.