Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Bio Over Summer at Different School

MDreamsMDreams Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
edited November 2012 in Northwestern University
I'm pre-med, and I'm planning on taking bio over the summer this year so I don't have to take it with orgo next year. I was going to take it at northwestern, but I'd really like to be home and I can take it at a school near home (eg. Creighton University). Would med schools look down on me if I take it at a less prestigious school so I can be home? It'd be really nice if I could go home for the summer. Let me know. Thanks.
Post edited by MDreams on

Replies to: Bio Over Summer at Different School

• NorthwesternDadNorthwesternDad Registered User Posts: 555 Member
    Personal view: Just one course in Bio will not make or mar your application to the medical school.
  • MDreamsMDreams Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
    Summer bio @ northwestern covers 3 quarters of it. So I'd try and do something similar if I took it elsewhere.
  • Sam LeeSam Lee Registered User Posts: 9,449 Senior Member
    From Brown's website:
    Is it ever okay to take required health careers courses in the summer at Brown or elsewhere?

In general, many health profession schools, and particularly medical schools, do not view summer courses as favorably as they do courses taken during the fall and spring terms at Brown. However, if you have a compelling academic rationale for taking summer courses elsewhere (e.g., to enable you to do study abroad) and if you think you will be a strong applicant, it can be fine to take a required course over the summer. If you choose to take a required course in the summer you should either do so at Brown or at a school with a strong academic reputation (we do not recommend community college courses). Furthermore, we do not recommend that you take more than one required class during the summer.
  • jrparjrpar Registered User Posts: 2,135 Senior Member
    You should run this question by a pre-med advisor at NU. (See questions 5 and 6 in this: Coursework FAQs: University Academic Advising Center - Northwestern University)
This discussion has been closed.