Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

northwestern with a low act??

justynabbyjustynabby Registered User Posts: 22 New Member
Hi everyone!

Is it possible to get into Northwestern with a 28 act? I'd be applying for the Medill School of Journalism, and my reading score was a 32 (since it relates to journalism)

If anyone knows someone who has gotten in with a low act, that would be wonderful to know.

I'm pending to be valedictorian at a school of 650 students (4.88 GPA/4.0), 2 sports, a job, NHS, a lot of other things so my grades are not lacking and neither are my extracurriculars. THE ACT IS WHAT'S KILLING ME.

Any hope for me??

Replies to: northwestern with a low act??

• thegrantthegrant Registered User Posts: 1,130 Senior Member
    Theres always hope, especially with your other great aspects in your application. Its not unheard of for really selective schools to admit exceptional students with lower test scores.
    A 28 is low but doesnt throw you out completely, Im not sure if nw takes january scores (sat/act), any increase from your 28 to maybe a 30 or 2000 SAT would help your application so much though. Good luck!
  • HeisenbergykHeisenbergyk Registered User Posts: 261 Junior Member
    I think in general NU puts more weight on grades and ECs than test scores so you should still have a strong chance. If you have the time retaking the ACT/trying the SAT and SAT II might help boost your chances a little more. The key will be, as in most cases of people with lower test scores, on your essay and how much passion you show for the school. Good luck!
  • justynabbyjustynabby Registered User Posts: 22 New Member
    I have not taken the SAT as I haven't prepared for it, I was thinking about giving it a shot but I'm scared that it won't turn out either. The ACT literally gave me so much stress and anxiety.. Science is what is bringing it down from being a 30. Northwestern is my dream school and I would've never thought the ACT would be what is bringing me down. I'm also in a media broadcasting academy (high school for it) so I'm praying it shows that I can find success there. Thank you guys!
    My essays were strong, I had one English teacher look at it and all she changed was an adjective so I'm hopeful on that.
  • quirkmeetsgirlquirkmeetsgirl Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    I have a 30 ACT/1900 SAT score, 4.36/4.0 GPA, am the captain of two sports teams, and ensemble leader for the two highest choirs at my school. I applied ED this year and I was accepted to Weinberg for Creative Writing and Bienen for Voice & Opera.
    There's always hope and Best Wishes!
  • yolanda1996yolanda1996 Registered User Posts: 27 Junior Member
    I just got in ED with a 28 ACT. I think what really got me in was an amazing essay and a incredible recommendation letter. Of course there was less competition with ED, so it will be much harder to get in Regular Decision.
    @yolanda1996 what college did you apply for?? i should've done ed but they said you couldn't apply to other colleges... i applied to 12 in total haha, but of course northwestern over everything
  • nugraddadnugraddad Registered User Posts: 1,332 Senior Member
    There are people that score higher on one test over the other. My D (NU alum) scored much higher on SAT than on ACT. You don't have to send it if you don't like it, so give it a shot.
  • yolanda1996yolanda1996 Registered User Posts: 27 Junior Member
    @justynabby School of Communication
This discussion has been closed.