right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Join us for a LIVE webinar Thursday, June 11 at 7pm ET to hear from students on how COVID-19 impacted their college plans and current on-campus experiences. Zai, Ethan, and Rohan will share information about their college and application experiences. REGISTER NOW!
College Confidential stands united with African American students and their families against racial injustice and in pursuit of higher education and equality in America.
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Zai Dawodu overcame a low GPA to get into top schools like Northwestern or NYU. She'll be attending Northwestern to study Computer Science. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our June Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Are classes very cutthroat?

soontobecollegersoontobecolleger 539 replies49 threads Member
I heard that the academic environment tends to be very competitive and not supportive at Northwestern but I was wondering if that applies mostly to the pre med/engineering type courses. I plan to major in linguistics, and I will probably also take many foreign language courses. Will this be an issue for me?
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Are classes very cutthroat?

• nugraddadnugraddad 1325 replies13 threads Senior Member
    I have a son and daughter that are recent engineering alums - and they both talked extensively about how supportive and worthwhile their study groups were & a lot of their close friends were from their study groups.

They would say that the academic environment is intense, as opposed to competitive, but keep in mind that all NU students were probably at the very top of their HS - and used to being the smartest kids in the class - and now they are surrounded by other kids just as smart.

I can't speak to linguistics at NU - but you don't go to NU unless you want to be one of the best. Good Luck!
    · Reply · Share
  • soontobecollegersoontobecolleger 539 replies49 threads Member
    Sounds like your kids had a good experience, but I heard that there is a lot of competition and sabotage vs a school of equal caliber like Dartmouth, where classes may be intense but not cutthroat
    · Reply · Share
  • ilosicilosic 32 replies2 threads Junior Member
    i honestly havent really heard much about cut throat competition at NU. i heard it was rigorous but very collaborative
    · Reply · Share
  • MMSS2020MMSS2020 66 replies0 threads Junior Member
    at Northwestern, we don't complain about each other: we complain together :')

even in 10-person classes graded on a curve, I haven't experienced much cutthroat competition
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity