right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Why is NWU underrated?

RK2901RK2901 4 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 9 New Member
I was having a talk with my friends at school, but I deduced that they didn't know how prestigious NWU really was. It's also rarely mentioned when people refer to "The Hidden Ivies" and stays out of media when the topic of top colleges comes about. Does anyone else think this is the case? Why (or why not) so?
12 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Why is NWU underrated?

• PurpleTitanPurpleTitan 12656 replies29 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 12,685 Senior Member
    edited April 4
    Nothing against your friends but it's not like most high schoolers know a lot. NU definitely isn't underrated by employers or grad schools. Which isn't surprising because it is a true Ivy-equivalent, matching the Ivies in how well it's alumni acheivements.
    edited April 4
    · Reply · Share
  • sushirittosushiritto 3389 replies8 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,397 Senior Member
    It’s the name. :wink:
    · Reply · Share
  • AmkngkAmkngk 186 replies4 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 190 Junior Member
    Where do your friends live? I’ll be honest, as a lifelong east coaster, I had no idea of the prestige and reputation of NWU until we toured the campus on a whim while we were in Chicago looking at other schools with my kid. I mean, I knew it was a “good” school, but I didn’t realize how good (or how expensive, LOL). I think New Englander just have no idea because there are so many great schools in New England that many never look to the Midwest.
    · Reply · Share
  • RK2901RK2901 4 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 9 New Member
    edited April 5
    @Amkngk yup, we're east coasters as well!
    edited April 5
    · Reply · Share
  • IWannaHelpIWannaHelp 387 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 389 Member
    edited April 6
    Your friends are not representative. Look at the number of applicants, admit rate and test scores. If high achievers didn’t think NU is prestigious, fewer of them would have applied and the test scores wouldn’t be so high. It’s ranked in the top-10 even back in the 90s. It’s been consistently ranked within the top-14 in the last 3 decades. Anyone cares to would probably know.
    edited April 6
    · Reply · Share
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff 3174 replies9 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,183 Senior Member
    Why do you care anyway? . Go to the school that is the best fit, affordable and gives you a great education. Yes, in the Midwest Northwestern is known as a great school. Some will say world class. But it does strike me that many as stated really didn't know that. @gallentjill.. Very funny. Same with WashU and we live 5 hours away.. Lol...
    · Reply · Share
  • EllieMomEllieMom 1870 replies11 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,881 Senior Member
    People, please, it's NU not NWU. That, on its own, shows you're sort of out of the loop in terms of Northwestern's "it factor."
    · Reply · Share
  • AmkngkAmkngk 186 replies4 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 190 Junior Member
    Well see, here in New England, NU is Northeastern.
    · Reply · Share
  • DWM1967DWM1967 13 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 13 New Member
    Dude don't pay attention to your friends. Do what's best for you. Northwestern is ranked #10, tied with Hopkins, and ahead of Dartmouth and Brown. The acceptance rate is 8.7%. U.S. News apparently doesn't think its underrated. Why should you?
    · Reply · Share
  • midwestCityParent8midwestCityParent8 18 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 18 Junior Member
    edited April 30
    del
    edited April 30
    · Reply · Share