Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

Campus and Students: Comparison

PizzagirlPizzagirl Registered User Posts: 40,488 Senior Member
edited December 2007 in Northwestern University
Since many of you are in the position of recently having gone through the college admissions process, I wondered if you could answer these for me. The colleges / universities don't have to be Northwestern-level academics.

When it comes to the overall campus LOOK AND FEEL, colleges / universities that are like Northwestern are ....

When it comes to the overall GENERAL TYPE OF STUDENTS THAT MAKE UP THE STUDENT BODY, colleges / universities that are like Northwestern are ...

I can guess some of the more obvious ones (esp for the latter) but I'm interested in more "unique" responses.

Thanks!
Post edited by Pizzagirl on

Replies to: Campus and Students: Comparison

• collegebound9696collegebound9696 Registered User Posts: 130 Junior Member
    overall campus; To be honest, I am not really that impressed by the campus. Yeah, the lake is nice. However, some nice red brick buildings would be pleasing to me as opposed to those arbitrary concrete buildings.

In terms of students; I would say Cornell, Penn, Duke, Rice, Gtown
  • arbiter213arbiter213 Registered User Posts: 3,572 Senior Member
    Collegebound, have you been up to the fraternity quad? ;)

I would say that odd as it sounds NYU attracts many of the same sort of students; the appeal of a city, the music and acting conservatories. I could see many of my NYU friends being happy at NU, though perhaps they'd need to be a little smarter to quite cut it. :/

Also, NYU's colors are Violet and White and their mascot is a Bobcat. o_O
  • elsijfdlelsijfdl Registered User Posts: 2,369 Senior Member
    When it comes to the overall campus LOOK AND FEEL, colleges / universities that are like Northwestern are ....

someone before suggested west point and i kind of agree with them

West Point: http://www.aogusma.org/soc/elpaso/wppc/wp.jpg
    Northwestern: http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/doctoral/images/jacobs_allen_aerial.jpg

there used to be a better aerial picture of northwestern but i can't find it
    When it comes to the overall GENERAL TYPE OF STUDENTS THAT MAKE UP THE STUDENT BODY, colleges / universities that are like Northwestern are ...

northwestern is pretty preprofessional (it seems almost everyone i hang out with are planning on going to law/med/business school), so in that regard maybe penn, but students here also socialize a lot so maybe in that way also incorporate vanderbilt?

also from what i've heard michigan, a little bit? because i think michigan kind of blends those two aspects as well
  • BalaBala Registered User Posts: 491 Member
    Similar student bodies:

Duke, Cornell, Penn, Stanford, Rice.

Similar Campus look and feel is much harder. The combination of new and old architecture, the Lake Michigan waterfront, Evanston and Chicago is pretty unique.
This discussion has been closed.