Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

If Someone Could...

sheerbluesheerblue Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
edited January 2008 in Northwestern University
...possibly "chance" me? Only if you're not still scrambling to finish your apps in (like I was a few minutes ago).

Private School
Intended Major: English w/ pre-med track
Ethnicity: Indian
GPA: 4.0
Top 3%
SATs: 2270 (M-670, CR-800, W-800)
SATIIs-M2-720, Lit-780

AP's thus far: Spanish Lang, Calc AB, English Lang, US History, Biology (all the AP's offered at my school) Also planning to take Government AP test.
I'm in the local UT's junior scholars program and am taking 2 classes there per semester. I've also taken 5 community college courses in the past two years.

Honors: AcaDec Team Gold Medal in SQ(competing in medium school division)
AcaDec Silver Lit Medal, Bronze Science Medal, Captain of AcaDec team, National Merit, HOBY Ambassador, 1st Place in Short Story Contest...etc.

ECs: Editor-in-Chief and Co-founder of Newspaper.
Student Body President. School Parliamentarian. City Youth Council member, Youth in Government (sat in for City Council member) HOBY Alumni Member lots of hours there as well as facilitator over the summer (70 hr)
Piano. Grade 12...played for 10 yr or so
Volunteer Work at Library and Math Tutoring-Adding up to app. 300 hr
Varsity Letter in Volleyball

Also speak Spanish fluently (living in border town) and my parents' native Bengali. So...yeah. Not the best resume, but I've tried to make the best of the resources available (and sometimes push my school for more).
Post edited by sheerblue on

Replies to: If Someone Could...

• arbiter213arbiter213 Registered User Posts: 3,572 Senior Member
    What grades did you get on your college coursework? If you're failing those classes, it's negative.

How interested in NU are you?

You look pretty strong. How big is your class size? How are your recommendations?
  • sheerbluesheerblue Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    Oh, I got A's in both classes. And one of the classes was a Chem Honors class which is pretty important.

I can't believe I forgot to mention class size. It's laughable, but there are oh...25 people. Which would actually make me top 4% I guess. Recommendations are great. My math teacher has known me since middle school and my English teacher and I get along stupendously. Sometimes I think she likes me better than her son...which is bad, but hey, works for me.
    Oh, and NU is my number 2 school. Thank you for the comment, btw. :-)
  • shruthibaskaranshruthibaskaran Registered User Posts: 1,664 Senior Member
    Your SAT's are good... And if your recs are appealing, then its all in the essay! :) Which place are you from?
    I was iffy about my essay. I liked my personal statement but I think my "Why NU?" paper might have been...generic. Nothing left to do but wait now.

Well, my family is originally from the Kolkata area. We live on the border between the U.S. and Mexico though.
  • WCASParentWCASParent Registered User Posts: 2,102 Senior Member
    I think you've got a great shot.
    Good luck.
  • jonthelinjonthelin Registered User Posts: 246 Junior Member
    you've got a good chance. why is NU your second choice school?
This discussion has been closed.