Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Why did I have to go ahead and take Subject Tests??

MadmagMadmag Registered User Posts: 76 Junior Member
edited October 2008 in Northwestern University
Aaagghh... I took the biology subject test freshman year and got a 560. I have also taken Math II (600) and World History (640). Needless to say, I'm kicking myself because NU doesn't require subject tests, and it's my top choice. Will these scores affect me, in RD and even RD. My SAT I is 2160.
Post edited by Madmag on

Replies to: Why did I have to go ahead and take Subject Tests??

• arbiter213arbiter213 Registered User Posts: 3,572 Senior Member
    Yes, those scores will be really bad for your chances.
  • MadmagMadmag Registered User Posts: 76 Junior Member
    i meant "Will these scores affect me, in RD and even ED?"
    Has anyone accepted to NU gotten a poor subject test score?
  • arbiter213arbiter213 Registered User Posts: 3,572 Senior Member
    The more pertinent question isn't a singular poor subject test score, but 3.
  • 2legit2quit2legit2quit Registered User Posts: 309 Junior Member
    I wouldn't go so far as to say all 3 scores are bad,
    they definitely could be a lot stronger...but they could also be a lot worse.

I always thought that if the subject tests aren't required, you don't have to send them in and the school will not take them into consideration. But perhaps I am mistaken?
  • ohhhradioohhhradio Registered User Posts: 256 Junior Member
    I know I got 650/650/510 on my subject tests, but chose to not send them in. Just don't let NU know of your scores.
  • Silverzc413Silverzc413 Registered User Posts: 460 Member
    can u still retake? If not, just don't put those scores on your application. Only write your SAT I score, even though they will see everything from collegeboard's transcript.
  • rollinsrollins Registered User Posts: 71 Junior Member
    I don't know if this would work for you, but if you have a good ACT score you can send it in instead of your SAT I score. That way the school will never see your SAT II scores.
  • AlliesmomAlliesmom Registered User Posts: 156 Junior Member
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that once you send your SAT scores, everything goes with them. If you have already sent your SAT I to NU, they may not see the SAT IIs if you took them after that date. IF you take the SAT I again and send it, they may see those SAT II tests.

You can try the ACT and just not send the and SAT scores. But then they would not see your SAT I grade.
  • MadmagMadmag Registered User Posts: 76 Junior Member
    ohhhradio, as a current student at NU, how did you not send your SAT II scores?

Thank you all for the input!
  • GaffeGaffe Registered User Posts: 877 Member
    CollegeBoard has a new policy that the test taker can choose which SAT scores to send to his/her respective university. It is like the ACT now.

New SAT Score-Reporting Policy
  • ohhhradioohhhradio Registered User Posts: 256 Junior Member
    Madmag--the subject tests were recommended, but not required. I only figured they would hurt me, so I just sent them an ACT along with my other college/HS grades.
  • WCASParentWCASParent Registered User Posts: 2,099 Senior Member
    Gaffe-
    I thought the new pick-and-choose policy with SAT scores will start with the class graduating HS in 2010, as opposed to this year's applicants.
  • nd09nd09 Registered User Posts: 497 Member
    ^Correct (ten char)
  • GaffeGaffe Registered User Posts: 877 Member
    Yes, you're right.

I don't know what grade the OP is, so it may or may not apply to her.
  • RhapsodyinPinkRhapsodyinPink Registered User Posts: 235 Junior Member
    Madmag- my score was a 2160 and I got in, you should be fine. :)
This discussion has been closed.