Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

MENU Program

aquamarineeaquamarinee Registered User Posts: 3,028 Senior Member
edited August 2008 in Northwestern University
I have a few questions, regarding the difficulty of MENU and how much it really helps in terms of getting into finance and the Kellogg Certificate.

1. What is the average GPA in most of the courses in MENU?

2. Would recruiters in S&T or IB know that MENU is extremely difficult and thus be more lenient with the GPA cut-off? I know 3.5 UW is the unofficial cut-off typically.

3. I know the Kellogg Certificate gives preference to those who took the MENU sequence; however, would it be possible that regular Economics majors with higher GPA's may be favored over those with lower GPA's in MENU?
Post edited by aquamarinee on

Replies to: MENU Program

• Sam LeeSam Lee Registered User Posts: 9,449 Senior Member
    2. I doubt it. They ask about your GPA; if you don't have the cut-off, I don't think they are going to give you he benefit of doubt and look at your transcript to see what courses you get Bs on...etc.

3. This is my speculation: they use successful completion of the honors sequence as an indicator that you will be able to handle the rigor of the Kellogg cert. The MBA students aren't required to take that much calculus; so that tells me the preference is for screening purpose. I think it's a matter of whether you can convince them or not. If you take the regular calculus, you'd better get As in them. If you get Bs, it'll be difficult to convince them that you can handle the first course, which squeezes two quarters of MBA finance materials into one quarter. For MBA students, they have the choice to take either this accelerated version (you wouldn't be sitting with them but it's the same course called Turbo Finance) or the regular two-quarter sequence. You don't have that choice.

You should email them. Janice Eberly is the director of the program. I don't think you should feel shame about asking questions like this. It's a legitimate concern.
  • aquamarineeaquamarinee Registered User Posts: 3,028 Senior Member
    Thanks for all of the advice. I'll be emailing her about it today then.

Anyone else have an opinion on the other questions?
  • StrikeX2StrikeX2 Registered User Posts: 130 Junior Member
    did the MENU invite message came in your NU email, personal email or your snail mail?

i remember getting invited to join MENU a while back too and now i am trying to dig up the info and needless to say, i'm having trouble finding it again. haha
  • aquamarineeaquamarinee Registered User Posts: 3,028 Senior Member
    As long as you had your AP scores sent to NU, then you should be able to take MENU. The invitation is more of a formality, I believe. I actually just had my AP scores sent, so the director told me he'd send me an invitation if I wanted/needed one.
  • StrikeX2StrikeX2 Registered User Posts: 130 Junior Member
    yea i got the invitation a while back. it provided me a link with MENU registration or something like that.

i am having trouble finding that invitation again. not sure if it came in my snail mail, personal email or NU email.

if someone else has this invitation, would you please private message me the URL tat was provided?

thanks
This discussion has been closed.