Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!
shoegal2shoegal2 Registered User Posts: 152 Junior Member
edited June 2005 in Northwestern University

Replies to: read:

• antsmrchingantsmrching Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
    I would not rule out northwestern, it is an outstanding school where the kids I think still know how to have fun. Plus- Chicago is a bit more appealing for off campus activities than St. Louis.....if you do want to go off campus. I also know that Northwestern has one of the better econ programs in the country. I think that many people think that Wash U St. Louis and NU have many things in common, so take a good hard look at both!
  • bball87bball87 - Posts: 2,529 Senior Member
    also, side note, read ****.com, NU had one of the more negative comments on it. The students for the most part did not seem that content with the school administration and describe the school as a rich school and only a school a rich person can enjoy. I found those coments a little disconcerting, despite, coming from a welll above-average family..
  • TheCityTheCity Registered User Posts: 631 Member
    i would dissagree bball... first, my brother has gone to NU for three years.. when i was applying i asked him and all his friends what their least favorite thing about the university is.. most of em mentioned things like it being too pre-professional, too cold, and the sports teams sucking.. i asked if they had any trouble with the school administration or anything.. and none of them did (out of about 10 people i asked)

there are certainly a lot of upper-class people at NU, and im a little concerned about that, coming from a middle class family, but i dont think its going to be much of a problem. Usually, everyone in college is broke no matter how much money their parents have. If anything, it means you'll be meeting the right people, and have cool places to vacation to when you make friends with them.

keep in mind that somebody who is mildly contented will tend to be apathetic. People who want to write 1000 word reviews of their college for free usually have strong opinions about it, either good or bad. Which means that people who complain a lot about the school probaly are just complainers in general.
  • bball87bball87 - Posts: 2,529 Senior Member
    fair enough...
  • Sam LeeSam Lee Registered User Posts: 9,449 Senior Member
    besides, the number of students writing on studentreview are too low to be representative of the entire student body. i thought my northwestern's education was solid and most of my friends seem to be doing really well in whatever career they pursue.
This discussion has been closed.