Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

How do you convey that you really want to go to a school that you have never visited?

LameUsernameLameUsername Registered User Posts: 120 Junior Member
edited December 2009 in Northwestern University
I'm trying to write my "Why Northwestern?" essay, and I'm struggling a little. I really like the school, and have plenty of good reasons, but haven't been able to visit. On other "Why this school" sort of essays I've been able to say something like "The moment I stepped on campus I knew," but obviously I can't say that here.

Has anyone else had this problem, and figured out a way to get around it?
Post edited by LameUsername on

Replies to: How do you convey that you really want to go to a school that you have never visited?

• taintedlove21taintedlove21 Registered User Posts: 155 Junior Member
    Take a thorough look through their website (esp. the website of the college you're applying to - meaning Weinberg, McCormick, Medill, etc.) and think about unique majors, special programs, or activities they may offer that interest you. Hope this helps. Good luck!
  • cclolzftwcclolzftw Registered User Posts: 507 Member
    Go ahead and Google the following sites: College *******, Students' Review, and *****.
  • TowardToward Registered User Posts: 231 Junior Member
    Say how disappointed you were that you couldn't visit, after hearing and reading so much about the school
  • arbiter213arbiter213 Registered User Posts: 3,572 Senior Member
    How do you convey you really want to see a girl you've never dated?
  • cclolzftwcclolzftw Registered User Posts: 507 Member
    That's what Facebook was invented for. Next question.
  • xrCalico23xrCalico23 Registered User Posts: 4,673 Senior Member
    I can imagine that a lot of people are applying to schools that they love but have never visited.
  • TowardToward Registered User Posts: 231 Junior Member
    How do you convey you really want to see a girl you've never dated?

More like, how do you convey you really want to date a girl you've never seen?

that is a bit more difficult.
  • xrCalico23xrCalico23 Registered User Posts: 4,673 Senior Member
    Well, the situation is not the same. You can find out all you want about a college online, from other people, etc., and it will be happily called "demonstrated interest". Coming from a girl's perspective, if you do the same to find out all about a girl, it's called "stalking", and that's just creepy:)
  • charlieharpercharlieharper - Posts: 720 Member
    stalking is the answer. stalk all over their website. find what about that college INTRIGUES you and talk about it! that's what i did
  • almostfinishedalmostfinished Registered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
    Look deeper than just the front page and headlines though. Try to find course listings, student clubs, an online copy of the newspaper or research being done in your department.
  • arbiter213arbiter213 Registered User Posts: 3,572 Senior Member
    Well, the situation is not the same. You can find out all you want about a college online, from other people, etc., and it will be happily called "demonstrated interest". Coming from a girl's perspective, if you do the same to find out all about a girl, it's called "stalking", and that's just creepy

Wait thats stalking? That'd explain the panicked look on her face...
  • ingetteingette Registered User Posts: 418 Member
    research, research, research!

i saved all the literature they sent me for this. they've spent months telling me why i should want to go, now i've just picked out the actual reasons that appeal and gave them the info back, so to speak.
  • shortnsweet3030shortnsweet3030 Registered User Posts: 72 Junior Member
    If you check Northwestern's website, they have a list of reasons why you should choose northwestern, work from there. They also have their viewbook online and photo albums. and comeon the campus is right next to chicago! use that.
This discussion has been closed.