Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Time to apply plus last minute visits...

go4fan56go4fan56 Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
I asked for advice a little while back about underground Georgetown Nursing for my daughter. As I'd hoped - she is realizing that Georgetown and UPenn make a lot more sense for her grad school CRNA plans (along with Duke, UCLA & Stanford among other dream schools.

So far we have visited UT-Austin, Baylor, and U of MN. She has scratched Georgetown & UPenn from the visit list - which frees us to visit schools that make more sense cost-wise for undergrad. UT-Austin would be in-state (scary admission stats now that they're direct entry - but she's a strong candidate and feels good about her chances). U of MN told her she'd receive in-state tuition and probably more merit money - and likely guaranteed nursing as a freshman (plus out of state is free application fee). Baylor is a safety - but not direct entry.

Direct entry is a must for her - as well as a solidly recognized grad school (more happiness if they have a CRNA grad degree). She would love to find a school that offers merit money to allow us to keep saving for grad school (there isn't a chance of need-based).

Please let us know if you can think of schools we've missed in our thought process. I know there are many - it just took so long to get Ivies out of her paradigm. She will be starting applications next week... She is thinking about U of Mich - but probably not much merit $$ offered - or in-state.

Stats through junior year:
GPA: 5.32 out of 5+ (1 Semester B)
AP Classes to date: World History 4, US history 5, Psych 5, Human Geo 5, Environmental Science 4, English Comp 5, Chemistry 4, - she has 7 scheduled senior year

ACT: 33. SAT: 2030

EC - this is her strongest section. She already has 200 volunteer hours this summer as a camp counselor for special needs children: 2 summers of medical internships, she founded a mentorship program freshman year matching 20 high school students with 20 at risk elementary students each year at a title school in our district, class president, Stuco, varsity soccer fresh & sophomore year until concussions - now runs 1/2 marathons; part time job, several leadership conferences (HOBY, RYLA), principal's Leadership Council all years - now president..., she has her tutoring & pet sitting neighborhood businesses (the pet one since 4th grade)....

Thank you for any thoughts. This is too important to not seek advice from all you knowledgeable souls across the country...

Replies to: Time to apply plus last minute visits...

• CharlieschCharliesch Registered User Posts: 2,076 Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    I wouldn't worry about the quality of a college's grad nursing program if you are only going for a BSN. Most nursing programs want a nurse to have experience before they enter a grad program, so the student probably won't be staying in the same town anyway.

I'm guessing you may find that some universities that have famous grad programs may place more emphasis on the grad students than the undergrads.

I agree - if you aren't eligible for aid, I wouldn't pay 220K for a RN degree from an expensive university. Some top universities charge much less in tuition for grad students per year than undergrads.
This discussion has been closed.