Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Still need advice on reach schools...

2»

Replies to: Still need advice on reach schools...

• CharlieschCharliesch Registered User Posts: 2,076 Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    Usually those types of scholarships at other colleges are tied to working in Newark or the South Bronx. Penn gives scholarships if you agree to work in the 'hood in Princeton??? I guess they have many injuries from people falling off of their polo ponies.
  • Coll2011Coll2011 Registered User Posts: 59 Junior Member
    My daughter is now entering her senior year in the nursing program at UPenn. They are very generous with "Financial Aid". My daughter was lucky enough to be admitted to many school so we got to see a full range of what schools offer. Other schools that were need blind such as BC and UMich offered no aid but both UPEnn and Georgetown offered significant aid. Villanova was not generous at all with merit or financial aid. The aid we got did not make it as cheap as her in state choices but did make it doable. This year she has a younger sister going off of to college and they significantly increased the aid. Clearly they didn't have to as we were going to leave senior year. Now wish they were in school together for a few years! I will concur that Case Western has a great nursing program and was the most generous with aid. UPitt was also very generous.

• CharlieschCharliesch Registered User Posts: 2,076 Senior Member
    edited August 2014
    Yes, U. Penn is one of the few colleges that often offers aid without requiring loans for lower and middle income families (and some upper middle income families).

Two other reach schools with BSN programs that are generous with need-based aid for out of state students are UNC-Chapel Hill and UVa. However, UVa does use $4k of work study and $7K a year of federal loans to meet need in many cases. UVa does have a loan cap, after which you can be eligible for extra aid in your fourth year. If you have a good summer job, you may be able to reduce or avoid the work study. Both are extremely competitive out of state for admissions.

Particularly once clinicals start, it is a good idea to avoid having to work during the school year in a work study or other part time job.

Last I checked, UNC was not direct entry.

UVa is direct entry. They also have a great new nursing building, right next to a very large modern hospital complex and the older nursing building.

Also, keep in mind that many universities (including UVa and Penn State) increase tuition and fees for nursing students in the last couple years. That cost may not be readily apparent.

Also, keep in mind that tuition at most schools increases by a $1,000 or more each year. If a college promises to meet 100% of need, then need based aid will typically increase with tuition increases. However, most merit aid offers are flat amounts, and do not increase with inflation.
  • go4fan56go4fan56 Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    I really appreciate the thoughts and suggestions. To date, she has applied to UT-Austin, Texas A&M (but for Petroleum Engineering - not nursing. A&M's nursing program is very new and will be incredible in a few years - but not in her timeline) and UMN-Twin Cities. She will be applying to UPenn as well.

We won't receive any need-based aid. I have two in college right now and haven't received any - and when she goes in Fall 2015, I will have two in (she'll replace the one who graduates). Which is why we've been focusing on merit. I understand need-based aid - but it frustrates me that the price tag can be so different for everyone.
2»
This discussion has been closed.