right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Should I reconsider Oberlin as a possible school?

anonuser123anonuser123 8 replies4 threadsRegistered User New Member
The entire Gibson's Bakery shpeal has seemed to really hurt the reputation of the school. Assuming I get in and attend, would a degree from Oberlin be looked down upon in the eyes of companies and the public in general? I've heard a lot of people talk about blacklisting Oberlin grads from job opportunities, internships, etc., like how Ole Miss grads get alienated bc of their school's history.
9 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Should I reconsider Oberlin as a possible school?

• ivycoverivycover 135 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    " . . . . . . . . . would a degree from Oberlin be looked down upon in the eyes of companies . . . . . . . . ?"

If it were it wouldn't be because of anything that the institution had previously done but rather because of the perceived behavioral potential of its product.
    · Reply · Share
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse 29210 replies57 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    The same questions arose with PennState with the Sandusky scandal, with Missouri and the football issue, and Evergreen and the professor. It hurt Admissions to all 3 colleges . Fewer applications. But the oldest of the three Penn State , tended to run out of scandal steam ,iMO, and did not affect job prospects. My youngest happily applied to the school. 4 years earlier, it made my other child pause, though he did go through with the application

I think it’s going to hurt Oberlin, yes. But not Oberlin grads in general. It can become a conversation piece and depending on how it is handled, an Oberlin student can be assessed.

I’m in a liberal enclave and the verdict is not good in terms of the schools’s stance on this situation. I dare say a virulent support of it would put off more people than not. But I don’t know anyone so involved in this that they would cut an Oberlin student simply for association
    · Reply · Share
  • ivycoverivycover 135 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    " . . . . But I don’t know anyone so involved in this that they would cut an Oberlin student simply for association"

I'm not aware of anyone in recruiting that would knowingly put forward a candidate that they perceived as having been instilled with a propensity for disruption or reactionary behavior.
    · Reply · Share
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse 29210 replies57 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Just coming from a college in the news does not mean that said student is involved. If the resume shows a good candidate, I don’t see a problem.

This comes up with all sorts of inflammatory issues. Political, international, religious, “social justice”. Being from Charlotteville does not mean you took part or condoned the discord. Being for a red state does not mean you are an avid supporter of all of those policies. I see young people hired all of the time by those with opposing views. Here in NYC, the color is green, and those most able to bring it in regardless of background unless attitude makes it impossible to ignore, get the jobs.
    · Reply · Share
  • thibaultthibault 117 replies4 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    If the school's leadership has no integrity - if they tell blatant lies about the gross misconduct of their employees and their students - then you are taking a not-insignificant risk with both your education and your education dollars.

We considered Oberlin and are sorry to say that they are off of our list. The risk is too great. Not worth it.
    · Reply · Share
  • BrianBoilerBrianBoiler 716 replies15 threadsRegistered User Member
    Here are my thoughts.

Can you get a great education there? Yes
    Are there good people that teach at OC? Yes
    Will you be blackballed for getting a degree there? Maybe at some fringe companies, but not enough to really make a difference.

But, if there is one thing that the US has in abundance it is great LACs that can give you the same thing. Why would you want to support/be attached to this school right now? Just read through the other thread on the case and ask yourself if this is the type of school you want to go to?

My middle son was considering another school that at the time was going through a PR issue and chose to consider that as a data point in his decision. He didn't end up attending, and it wasn't because of the PR issue. But if all things were equal that PR issue would have probably given the nod to another institution.
    · Reply · Share
  • 57special57special 574 replies14 threadsRegistered User Member
    I would hesitate to go to a school whose leadership acted so poorly during the Gibson's bakery incident, and continues to evade responsibility or apologize for their actions in any meaningful way to this day.
    · Reply · Share
  • JBStillFlyingJBStillFlying 6618 replies22 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I guess I'd be worried about FA or favorite faculty being cut due to financial distress. It happens.
    · Reply · Share
  • dropbox77177dropbox77177 183 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    30 years ago in the old days, Oberlin was ranked in the top 10 LACs by USN&WR, alongside schools like Williams, Amherst and Pomona.

Today, it's ranked 33, the lowest for Oberlin ever. Most worrying is that Oberlin cannot attract full pay families. Anyone not on financial aid receives "merit" aid. That's probably the best indicator that those old days aren't coming back.
    · Reply · Share