right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
STUDENT GUEST OF THE WEEK: Ethan is a burgeoning tech enthusiast who got accepted into Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Duke, Brown. This week he's answering your questions on how to best craft your application and narrow down your college search/decision process. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Concerned about how to pay for college amid COVID-19 economic changes? Join us for a webinar on Thu, Apr. 9 at 5pm ET. REGISTER NOW and let us know what questions you have and want answered.
Most of the decisions are in by now. Connect with fellow students and share support for those who didn't get the best news.

chances of getting in as transfer

ewitkopewitkop 4 replies2 threads New Member
edited March 2012 in Ohio State University
So I have applied for transfer from a C.C out of state for the fall semester. I graduated high school in 2009 and for the past 3 years I have played jr. hockey while taking classes part-time. When I first started taking classes I did poorly; they were online and I wasn't prepared to succeed at the college level . However, my grades have showed significant improvement. Before the start of this semester (spring 2012) I had a 2.7 g.p.a with 15 credits completed. This semester I am taking 16 credits (full-time) and I am shooting on raising my g.p.a to at least a 3.1-3.5.

What are my chances of getting in with say a 3.3 and 31 credits while being an out-of state student?

I understand that the minimum g.p.a required is a 2.0, but will admissions look down to my "rough start"? I have submitted an optional essay explaining my experiences in junior hockey/ travel and how taking classes part-time allowed me to adapt to the college level. I also pointed out that my grades have made a steady increase and have never taken any steps back, and how they are now at a high level. My counselor at my c.c told me that they actually might respect my transcript after I explain my initial "rough start"; something they would rather see than someone who is inconsistent.
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks

Also, my counselor told me that last semester someone from my C.C was accepted with a 2.6. He wasn't sure if him being a minority had anything to do with it. I am not a minority by the way.
edited March 2012
5 replies
Post edited by ewitkop on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: chances of getting in as transfer

• RMGsmomRMGsmom 497 replies17 threads Member
    If you just applied it seems a bit late for a fall admission. However, I think you will be admitted at some point.
    · Reply · Share
  • ewitkopewitkop 4 replies2 threads New Member
    sorry I forgot to clarify that I applied before the deadline
    · Reply · Share
  • ewitkopewitkop 4 replies2 threads New Member
    anybody else have information/thoughts?
    · Reply · Share
  • OhioState99OhioState99 19 replies12 threads Junior Member
    Today, I was admitted from an out of state CC as a transfer student. I only have 10 semester hours, but I do have a 4.0. In your application, you can write out a "personal statement" where you can explain any reasons for academic stumbles and how you've since improved. The deadline to apply isn't until May 1st for the Fall 2012 semester. Good luck to you!
    · Reply · Share
  • Maggie92Maggie92 2 replies3 threads New Member
    when did you apply OhioState99?
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity