Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Rooming Anxiety

BitaniBitani Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
edited June 2013 in Ohio State University
I'm honestly not sure what buildings I requested, but I do know that I was a.) an early applier, b.) applied to South campus, and c.) requested a four-person dorm.

Part of the reason I applied to South campus was to participate in all of the parties. Since I had no idea Park/Stradley and Smith/Steebs were the main "party dorms," I don't remember putting them down as preferred. Talking to a housing person today, it sounds like since I was an early applier I will probably get what I first put down. (A quad.)

If I get in by chance to one of the two, cool. If not, will I still be good for joining in on the parties? Is all of South campus a party area, or just specific dorms? And if my dorm isn't one of them, are you able to run across the street and go into the dorms that are?

I'm more than likely worrying about it too much, I'll enjoy wherever I'm put, but when anxiety hits I figure it's worth asking.

Thanks!
Post edited by Bitani on

Replies to: Rooming Anxiety

• NervousNellie1NervousNellie1 Registered User Posts: 267 Junior Member
    From the title of your thread, I seriously thought you had rooming anxiety. It seems you have more of the "am I going to miss out on a good party" anxiety.

I understand wanting to socialize and believe you can wherever you live on campus. I haven't read any of your other posts, but I really hope this isn't a huge concern for you.

Are you paying thousands of dollars to party or get an education?
  • BitaniBitani Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    I'm paying thousands of dollars to do both. I have extremely high aspirations with where I would like to work in my field and plan on working hard towards that goal (I have a textbook right next to me I've been reading for fun, the same I've done for more than a few years), but also plan on getting the fullest college experience I can. I can promise you I'm not a kid just going to school to party on mommy's money. (If you had a dime for every time somebody said something along those lines.)

I would also argue that the title still falls under real rooming anxiety, at least when it pertains to which room I actually receive. If I am paying all of those thousands of dollars to go somewhere, I'd like to know that I'll squeeze all of the worth out of those dollars for what I'm wanting.
  • malia56malia56 Registered User Posts: 49 Junior Member
    "I'm paying thousands of dollars"

What a relief. I'm glad to hear that they're still not giving significant scholarships to those who plan to be spinners on South Campus.

And FYI, you might want to readjust your attitude and understanding of what college is. Paying a bunch of money (whether or not it's yours or your parents') does not entitle you to a good time. Colleges aren't outposts of Club Med. You're paying for the *opportunity* to learn--nothing more, and nothing less. You're not paying for grades, parties, or a specific kind of entertainment.
  • BitaniBitani Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    I'm sorry, I didn't know that joining this forum required my views to fit the conservative mold most of its members deem a suitable standard for flaming others.

If you don't want to answer my original question, so be it. I promise your opinion of myself and what I like to do with my time and money will change nothing, so don't waste your breath (or, finger strain?). I'm assuming you're a parent, malia56?

I take what I want to do after college (what I have been doing for half my life already) seriously. If I want to grab a beer afterwards, I don't believe it's anybody's business but my own.

If anybody cares to answer my question without baseless judgment, it will be much appreciated.
  • WithheldWithheld Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
    Park Stradley and Smith Steeb don't have quads. In fact, almost all of the quads are in the north or west campus. If you selected room type as your #1 priority in the housing app you may end up in one of those two areas. If you selected dorm location as your #1 priority you will probably end up in the south campus, in a double maybe a quad since you applied early. As for your question... I'm not sure. I also want to know the answer because I may end up in the south this fall.
This discussion has been closed.