Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How difficult is it to transfer into Honors Engineering at OSU?

STEMGuy2323STEMGuy2323 Registered User Posts: 186 Junior Member
edited May 2017 in Ohio State University
I applied for Honors and Scholars, and was accepted to Scholars and not Honors. I turned down Scholars in favor of the Engineering House Learning Community.

I am a Pre-CSE major.

Replies to: How difficult is it to transfer into Honors Engineering at OSU?

• AdwayaAdwaya Registered User Posts: 187 Junior Member
    Believe me dude..the Engineering LC is useless..Either nothing really happens or you are too busy to go to any of their meetings, especially if you can get into honors
  • STEMGuy2323STEMGuy2323 Registered User Posts: 186 Junior Member
    @Adwaya That doesn't really answer my question...
  • Marakov29Marakov29 Registered User Posts: 114 Junior Member
    I believe it's possible, but I'm not sure if it's something you'd really want to pursue. Going from ENGR 1181 to 1282 would be a pretty rocking transition, as it's basically a continuation of 1281.

Also, while I have no data to back this up, I don't FEH isn't really worth it anyway, use your free time from FE and make some cool programming projects on your own and you'll be much better off.
  • BuckeyeMWDSGBuckeyeMWDSG Registered User Posts: 731 Member
    Info on how to transfer in is here https://engineering.osu.edu/sites/eng.web.engadmin.ohio-state.edu/files/uploads/graduation/Honors_Contract_Informational_Packet.pdf

Step 1. Earn 24 graded credits with a 3.4 gpa (then you contact the honors advising office to apply for honors which is worth doing to receive scheduling priority for your classes)
    Step 2. Figure out how you will fulfill Honors requirements (service, research, leadership) aka Your Honors Contract
    Step 3. Complete/Update the contract requirements while maintaining your 3.4
    Step 4. Finalize your contract and submit verification by deadlines
  • STEMGuy2323STEMGuy2323 Registered User Posts: 186 Junior Member
    @Marakov29 Does not doing the honors program make me any less of a viable candidate for graduate programs?
  • Marakov29Marakov29 Registered User Posts: 114 Junior Member
    edited June 2017
    @STEMGuy2323 I've never heard of it being a big factor, but you should probably find a more reputable source than me.

Just curious, what kind of grad programs are you looking at?

EDIT: I meant to say "rocky transition" above, not rocking.
  • BuckeyeMWDSGBuckeyeMWDSG Registered User Posts: 731 Member
    edited June 2017
    This page https://advising.engineering.osu.edu/current-students/joining-honors-program states you only need 12 graded credits at 3.4 gpa to become eligible to transfer into Honors, the earlier you contact an advisor the better so they can keep you updated on any changes to the program.
  • KosherBaconKosherBacon Registered User Posts: 101 Junior Member
    You need a minimum GPA and credits to apply. There's also an online quiz you have to get 100% on (they tell you the answers afterwards and you can take it multiple times). However, it is really hard to go through honors engineering as CSE if you didn't start in it. You miss out on tons of honors credit opportunities. Fundamentals of engineering (FE) is not on it's own an honors course, you'd need to take FEH, and you'll likely have signed up for your writing/math courses ahead of time, too. It's hard to make up the missed honors credits later because CSE doesn't offer honors courses.

Honestly, I wouldn't have turned down scholars if I were you. It's a much better experience. Plus you can apply to get into honors at any point anyways.

Full disclosure. I'm a fourth year CSE major in both honors and scholars.
This discussion has been closed.