right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have changed the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

What are my chances?

SusieroonsSusieroons 2 replies1 threads New Member
Hello! I was wondering what my chances for The Ohio State University are!

Unweighted 3.3 GPA- with major growth (sophomore year 2.9 average junior year 4.4 average) denoted on transcript

24 ACT

Full IB diploma student (6 IB classes)
1 Ap class
2 honors

Working since 14 years old

1st generation college student

Disabled parent (shows family as low income now)

LOTS of ECs (10 on application)
Includes: competitive dance, French mentoring, drug free club, swim team coach, international conference.

I am nervous because I have a D on my transcript. To combat this the instructor wrote my letter of recommendation on my strong work ethic and determination!

I have lots of other things going but will my LOW Act and GPA be combatted with major growth? I’m from a strong Ohio school.

Not sure if this is important but intended major is Hospitality Management and a parent works at the university.
Thanks!
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: What are my chances?

• tntsullivantntsullivan 1 replies0 threads New Member
    Keep pushing-you can do this! Colleges look favorable at promoting first generation college students, so I would say that is an advantage for you. As far as the D on your transcript, make sure you speak to that in your essay. Acknowledge the score, what you learned from it, and how you will do better.

Go Bucks!
    · Reply · Share
  • cypresspatcypresspat 520 replies11 threads Member
    You are very well-rounded and showed a lot of growth in your GPA. With a school as big as OSU, they do rely a lot on the numbers. They have to. As a first gen student, though, you should get a good holistic look. You sound wonderful and really the kind of student I think OSU loves to admit. If the GPA and ACT get in your way, would you be ok with spending a year at one of the satellite campuses? I know several kids who have done that and it worked out really well for them.
    · Reply · Share
  • SusieroonsSusieroons 2 replies1 threads New Member
    It’s not ideal, but it would be something I would consider.
    · Reply · Share
  • cypresspatcypresspat 520 replies11 threads Member
    Well, a holistic review will serve you well.
    · Reply · Share