Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

My thread got taken down

scout213scout213 Registered User Posts: 348 Member
edited August 2007 in Ohio State University
Don't know why

so here it is again

CHANCE ME AT OHIO STATE!

970 MV
1500 MVW
Retaking

3.38 GPA
3.64 W

SCHOOL ACTIVITIES:
• Film Club: 11, 12
• Student newspaper, staff reporter (11, 12), business manager (12)
• Various activities for the football team (Filming games, uploading games, helping players get recruited) 10, 11, 12
• Coach for my graduating class in the Women’s football league: 9, 10, 11, 12
• Referee for the student-staff basketball game series: 11, 12

LEADERSHIP POSITIONS:
• Four and a half years in B’nai Brith Youth Organization (BBYO,) Member of the Aleph Zadik Aleph (AZA) Jewish fraternity as a member of Melech AZA
• One year as chapter newspaper editor
• One year as chapter secretary
• Three years as chapter website editor
• Four years as chapter basketball and football coach

COMMUNITY RELATED ACTIVITIES:
• Two years as a CIT at a camp for kids with Tourette syndrome. A disorder I have
• 189 community service hours

ENRICHMENT ACTIVITIES:
• Summer Camps
o Kallah East-Got me in touch with my jewish religion
o Chapter Leadership Training Conference-Prepared me to be a leader in my AZA chapter and the community

WORK EXPERIENCE:
• Ourlads NFL Scouting Services-Two years
o My work with Ourlads has been featured in the Ourlads publications
o Contributor to Athlon Sports Annual magazines NFL Draft preview magazine; featured in Borders and Barnes & Noble and other stores
o One Television appearance on Mid Atlantic Sports Network (MASN)
o Four Radio appearances (ESPN National (The Doug Gottlieb show), ESPN Baltimore (The Anita Marks; Two times), KBZZ Reno, Nevada)
• NFL Draft Forecast (nfldraftforecast.com)-Two years
• Two years as a CIT at a Nursery School Pre-School camp
• Senior year internship with a prominent sports agency in the Washington D.C. area
• Several years of a babysitting for an autistic boy in my neighborhood
Post edited by scout213 on

Replies to: My thread got taken down

• scout213scout213 Registered User Posts: 348 Member
    Anyone?

Chances?
    ???????????????????????????
  • greennbluegreennblue Registered User Posts: 1,736 Senior Member
    Well, your SATs are below the 25th percentile for OSU, and your GPA could be better. Your ECs are good. I wouldn't say your chances are great. Bring up that SAT.
    Thanks!!!!!!!!!
    Bumpity bump
  • SportsMamaSportsMama Registered User Posts: 776 Member
    You'll need to improve your standardized test scores. Does your school use class rank or just GPA?
    Just GPA

Ohio State says that it takes a very complete approach to their applications

How much does that help me
  • nicesocksnicesocks Registered User Posts: 185 Junior Member
    just retake the SAT again
    try ACT
  • osufunguyosufunguy Registered User Posts: 149 Junior Member
    Most colleges, and I assume Ohio State, can obtain profiles of any high school they need to.

What these profiles show is what is typical of your high school. It's much like OSU's class profile, where it will say what percentage of your high school has this or that GPA, or this or that test score.

If a 3.64 weighted grade is considered good for your high school, then they can estimate a class rank, same with if that's not considered very high for your school.

Believe me, OSU has ways of ranking you against your classmates, even without a ranking.

On the application, Ohio State says it does take a complete approach to your app, but it doesn't hide the fact that it focuses on three things: Class rank, test scores, and college prep curriculum. The rest of the information on your application, in my opinion, is more like the stuff that could sway their decision if you're on the bubble. But IMO, if a student comes in ranked in the top 10% of their class and has a 30 on the ACT, then I don't think that they would deny admission even if the person had NO extra-curriculars.
    I think your wrong.

When I e-mailed an admissions officer, they said one thing that stood out to me.

"Its really case
    by case, the committee who reviews your application will review
    everything you submit and determine whether you would be an asset to
    the unveristy and will succeed here."

I honestly believe if they do feel that one would be an asset to the university, they would accept them regardless of test scores.

osufunguy,

are you basically saying its a no in your opinion
  • osufunguyosufunguy Registered User Posts: 149 Junior Member
    IMO, you do have a low test score by OSU's admissions standards, and I can't speculate as to how your GPA "stacks up" at your high school.

However, you have a very distinctive resume and I'm not sure how your medical condition affects your academic abilities, but if it's cause for a low GPA or low test scores, then the admissions committee will definitely take it into consideration.

They do look at the ENTIRE application when making an admissions decision, it seems pretty thorough and they really try to determine if you would be an asset to the university. But they make no bones that in determining that, they look mainly at three things: test scores, class rank, and college prep curriculum.

Your test score is around the 40th percentile for the SAT when nearly 90% of OSU students are scoring in the 62nd percentile or higher. I would say at this point, in my very own opinion (that's all), you're on the cusp, and three things could help you in the admissions process:

1) Pull up the SAT score, or at least try the ACT and aim for no lower than a 24-25

2) Get a feeling about where you rank in your class, and use that top 25% as a benchmark, if you go to your counselor, she'll let you know about where you stand.

3) You have a LOT of extra-curricular/professional experience for someone in high school, and I think that will keep you on the radar even with a low test score

Personally, I think if all your information stayed the EXACT same, you wouldn't be rejected, but deferred with the possibility of acceptance (really depends on what the class profile looks like next year), but if deferred, they'll say exactly what I'm saying now, pull up the test score or GPA, because at this point, I'd say your experience is really helping you stay in the hunt.
    Thanks for the complete response osufunguy, it's highly appreciated!
    OSUfunguy, anyway I could email you?
    OSUfunguy, could you please Personal message me
    If it makes a difference...

I just received my transcript in the mail today...

3.40 Unweighted
    3.72 Weighted
This discussion has been closed.