Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

history major

carameckcarameck Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
edited April 2008 in Ohio State University
can anyone tell me about the history department? how strong is it? what is the workload like and how difficult are the classes? is it hard to meet requirements? what are the professors like? what is the job placement rate? internships?

any help would be greatly appreciated!!! thank you!
Post edited by carameck on

Replies to: history major

• The SpeakerThe Speaker Registered User Posts: 184 Junior Member
    This looks like a pretty nice place to start:

http://history.osu.edu/students/default.cfm

Explore!
  • RSquareRSquare Registered User Posts: 180 Junior Member
    I work at a prestigious private university and was told by a faculty member recently that OSU had spent big bucks to lure top history faculty away from ivy league schools to OSU...
  • kelseygkelseyg Registered User Posts: 786 Member
    I'm not a history major, but I'm in an honors class that is required of them. It's really enjoyable, the professor enjoys what he does, and the hist majors in it seem pretty cool. So that's my experience, though I can't say if it's representative of the department.

If you come visit, you should see if you can sit in on a major-level history class.
  • sh60614sh60614 Registered User Posts: 193 Junior Member
    I was a history major at Ohio State and very much value my degree and education. Almost all of the professors were great teachers. Other than the 100 level sequences (which I believe are still university-wide liberal arts requirements) class size ranged from under 10 to 40.

Within my area of focus, I received a lot of personal attention from the faculty including my adviser who edited one of the two major journals in the field and invited me to take doctoral level seminars with his Ph.D students. Another former professor went on to be the Provost at Iowa and is now President of UCONN and another (outside of my field) won the National Book Award and was a finalist for the Pulitzer in History.

Overall, I feel that I received a first tier liberal arts education and studied under some of the top historians in the country--I saw little or no rise in quality when I arrived at Chicago for grad school.

Currently the program ranks just outside the top 20 in the country, and it's been designated a "Targeted Investment Area" by the university.
  • carameckcarameck Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    thank you so much everyone! sh60614, how long ago did you graduate from osu? what area did you focus in?
  • UCLA, Ph.D.UCLA, Ph.D. - Posts: 337 Member
    Ohio State is a very respectable history department nationally.

NRC Rankings in History
  • icy9ff8icy9ff8 - Posts: 1,605 Senior Member
    UCLA,PhD: Are you citing the NRC rankings published in 1995 which utilized data from a 1993 survey? If so, then the survey is probably unreliable for use in comparing history departments in 2008 based on data from 1993. This outdated study has been cited and discarded repeatedly on CC due to its age.
This discussion has been closed.