Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Any updates on OCU???

Replies to: Any updates on OCU???

• be_a_starbe_a_star Registered User Posts: 618 Member
    So Momsense, was she accepted to BFA Acting, or BA Theatre Performance?
  • MomsenseMomsense Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    The letter says BFA in Theater Performance, I'm pretty sure.
  • WMonMTDadWMonMTDad Registered User Posts: 202 Junior Member
    probably so. this link explains the changes they are making in the theater program. It's ramping up big time.

http://www.okcu.edu/theater/features.aspx
  • downtown1119downtown1119 Registered User Posts: 27 New Member
    My daughter's letter says, "Congratulations on your successful audition for admission into the Bachelor of Fine Arts Acting degree program in the Theatre Department at Oklahoma City University." I was wondering if anyone knows of the reputation of this department compared to the MT and dance dept. In reading the link a sentence caught my eye. "We have been charged with building a program that matches the strengths of OCU's nationally recognized programs in Music and Dance & Arts Management." They are taking 50 students this year for a total of 220 in the department. And are going to take whatever they need after that to maintain their 220 students per year. It sounds like we are getting in on the ground floor of a program that is building. Does anyone have experience with this program at OCU. I understand that they hav seen 700 students in the Drama department so far, so I do feel fortunate that my D was selected. We are just waiting to hear from other colleges also. This is only the 2nd one she has heard from.
  • dramadaddramadad Registered User Posts: 185 Junior Member
    As I understand it, the BFA Acting is brand new. See link below

http://www.okcu.edu/theater/degrees.aspx
  • WMonMTDadWMonMTDad Registered User Posts: 202 Junior Member
    S is in transit back from JCL convention but just got permission to open and read him the letter that arrived yesterday...admitted to MT program with small scholarship, also a small scholarship for non-major clarinet studies to perform with ensembles (he'd auditioned on that as well)!!!

Much joy in Mudville!!!!
  • MTpolkMTpolk Registered User Posts: 119 Junior Member
    The Theatre program is going through a huge revamp. They're hiring 6 new theatre faculty, and the department is now becoming the College of Theatre instead of just a department under music, and will therefore be getting a new head. Things are looking up for Theatre, with big (and GOOD changes) to come. This year, one of the shows (Cosi) was nominated to go to regionals for ACTF, a college theatre festival, and was just nominated to move on to the national level, which is a very big deal. A panel will decide if they are to move on, but this is a small indicator of the direction the program is moving towards.
    MTpolk,

Which would you recommend, the BFA acting or the BA Theater Performance?
  • StarPfarrStarPfarr Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    I'm an MT major at OCU, and from what I've seen of the new BFA program, it's my personal belief that between a BA or a BFA, BFA's seem to be a better deal, at least if you want MORE of the theater and arts classes as opposed to more liberal arts (or core gen. ed.) classes. The way I understand it is that a BFA involves 2/3 of the work specifically toward the major, and 1/3 of a general ed. requirement. However, this is a bit of a generalization, so it may vary slightly from school to school. As for OCU, there is all kinds of buzz and excitement about things to come for the new BFA department...so I urge you to look further into it!
  • actingreacting1actingreacting1 Registered User Posts: 111 Junior Member
    Hi dramadad,
    I'm a Theatre Performance major at OCU. I'm really excited about all of the changes taking place at our school.
    I do think there are several benefits to both programs though. In both programs we are required to take 6 credits in the areas of voice and dance although the BA Theatre Performance program gives you the option of double majoring, adding a teaching certificate, taking more dance and music courses and ultimately more academic freedoms than the BFA. For me personally the BA caters more to my interests of developing a broad sense of theatre in all of its forms.
    Thanks for the info, StaPfarr and Actingreacting. Sounds like each program brings its owns strengths to bear, it just depends on what fits the student the best. Do you know if its possible to move from one program to the other if a student's priorities change over time?
  • actingreacting1actingreacting1 Registered User Posts: 111 Junior Member
    A lot of the curriculum required for the BA is required for the BFA, moving from the BFA to the BA would be a matter of just finishing the requirements for the BA. I imagine moving from the BA to the BFA would be more difficult. As mentioned before, the BFA is an intensive and focused degree and has a lot more required theatre courses. If a BA student decides in the middle of their college career that they want to do the BFA then they would have a lot more classes to make up.
  • MTpolkMTpolk Registered User Posts: 119 Junior Member
    Dramadad,
    I assume you're talking about BA in Theater, not BA in music? Although I'm in the music school, so I haven't delved into it too deeply, I would venture to say that the BFA is probably the best route if the student isn't planning on specializing in anything. The BA is a great option if you want to say, minor in costume design, or focus on another particular facet of education. The BFA does look very intense, and I'm sure is going to be a great track, there's just not really room for electives or a minor. So it depends on if the student wants to take other electives and such.
    You're not locked into one track though, a student can change easily within the first semester or year within the Theatre dept so long as they take courses satisfying both while they decide.
    I know there are theatre majors on here from OCU, and they could answer your questions better. I won't pretend to know all about what I don't! I know of the BA Music and BM Musical Theatre. There IS time to decide once here at school though, so don't feel that it's a do-or-die situation quite yet :) good luck with the decisions!
  • be_a_starbe_a_star Registered User Posts: 618 Member
    I'd like to kind of second what actingreacting said. In my opinion, if you are unsure which program to do, start by getting in all of the classes for the BA. There are only two classes, I believe (children's theatre, which is tons of fun and really interesting, and oral interpretation) which are required for the BA and not the BFA. If you have all of the required classes for the BA done, you can take as many as the other BFA classes as you want (all the classes within the dept are open). Or you could also do a minor or double major.

I'm doing the BA Theatre performance, with a minor in costuming, and I'm taking additional acting/theatre classes, as well as some business and history classes. None of that extra stuff would be possible with the BFA.
  • byorkmanbyorkman Registered User Posts: 86 Junior Member
    My audition for MT is next weekend. I'm also auditioning for Dance Performance. I've already been accepted for Theater Performance so all I have to do at the audition is sing.
This discussion has been closed.