Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Olin Essays

WashDadWashDad Registered User Posts: 2,695 Senior Member
edited December 2006 in Olin College
The essay topics were interesting. I'd pay a dollar for a collection of responses to the first essay.
Post edited by WashDad on

Replies to: Olin Essays

• Roger_DooleyRoger_Dooley Founder Posts: 106,392 Senior Member
    What was the prompt for the first essay, WashDad?
  • OlinAdmissionOlinAdmission College Rep Posts: 43 Junior Member
    I am definitely intrigued/amused by this thread!

I feel fairly confident, however, that our applicants' essay responses are not for sale. ;-)

But believe me, reading Olin essays is far more interesting than reading/proofing the essays my former students used to write (back in my HS counseling days)! Our prompts are designed NOT to be easy or even interchangeable with other college applications and are meant to give us some insight that we might not find from other parts of the application.

FYI - for those dying of curiosity, our essay prompts:

1) An entrepreneurial spirit and a "lifestyle of philanthropy" are very important to the Olin community. Choose ONE (1) of these two Core Values and tell us what it means to you.

2) Olin College students are academically driven; that is not to say, however, that their studies dominate their lives. How do scholastic and extracurricular pursuits (or passions) fit into your life? How do these activities complement the true focus of your life?

Happy essay writing to one and all!
    Allison
  • Just2FitzJust2Fitz Registered User Posts: 585 Member
    Who made those topics?
  • Dad'o'2Dad'o'2 Registered User Posts: 585 Member
    Sounds to me like they were thunk up by a steering committee that didn't have to read the resulting essays....

However, I suspect that the first essay topic is more effective in reducing frivolous applications than the $60 application fee.

I'm just glad it is my first-born that has to answer this and not me!
  • Just2FitzJust2Fitz Registered User Posts: 585 Member
    Does Olin take common app? and 60 dollars to apply??? I didn't see that on the site.
  • beantowngalbeantowngal Registered User Posts: 191 Junior Member
    Yes, the suggested topics were great. I enjoyed the process of writing those essays.
  • Roger_DooleyRoger_Dooley Founder Posts: 106,392 Senior Member
    #1 is a nice topic - few applicants will be able to recycle an essay they wrote for some other college to respond to it, and it should reveal something about the student's match with an area that Olin thinks is important. If a student is completely stymied as to how to respond, perhaps he/she isn't a good match for the school's priorities.

Of course, few high school students have had first-hand experience with a "lifestyle of philanthropy". I suppose one could relate past and current community service to the topic of philanthropic behavior.
  • WashDadWashDad Registered User Posts: 2,695 Senior Member
    Junior's challenge has been to couch "philanthropy" in a way that doesn't require wealth. Defining what the term meant was hard -- responding was pretty easy.

Junior wrote his first draft for the second prompt in about a half-hour. It just clicked for him.

I don't care what my son does, but I want a time machine so I can go back and re-do my college admissions process. (Applied to one college, was accepted, THEN took the SAT. Times sure change...)
  • ehiunnoehiunno Registered User Posts: 878 Member
    "If a student is completely stymied as to how to respond, perhaps he/she isn't a good match for the school's priorities."

I think you hit the nail on the head. I really enjoyed writing the essays, and pretty much knew what I would say for each as soon as i read the topics. The essays are a great way to find students that match with the school and not kids that just want to go to a good school.
This discussion has been closed.