Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Average SAT scores and HS averages of last year's acceptees?

sgmailersgmailer Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
edited December 2006 in Olin College
Hi,

Is it possible for someone from Olin to tell us what was the average GPAs and SAT scores of those who were accepted last year?

Thanks in advance.
Post edited by sgmailer on

Replies to: Average SAT scores and HS averages of last year's acceptees?

• rs8389rs8389 Registered User Posts: 185 Junior Member
    I remember I asked that question during my interview.... Mr Murdoch told me that although GPA and SAT scores are not what get the students in to Olin, the average would be something like GPA 3.9~3.95 unweighted and 2100 SAT (? Not too sure about the SAT)
  • awaiting-collegeawaiting-college . Posts: 225 Junior Member
    Princeton Review did not mention the average GPA (apparently Olin does not really value this), but for SAT and ACT scores:
    Range SAT verbal: 710 - 770
    Average SAT verbal: 740

Range SAT math: 710 - 800
    Average SAT math: 750

Range SAT writing: 700 - 740
    Average SAT writing: 730

Range ACT composite: 31 - 34
    Average ACT composite: 32
  • sgmailersgmailer Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Ah, ok, thanks guys! Those SAT averages seems pretty high. :(
  • CollegeBound2007CollegeBound2007 Registered User Posts: 696 Member
    ^^^ SAT scores are not too high when you consider that GPA is 3.9-3.95 average! That means nearly all A's.
  • dank08dank08 Registered User Posts: 1,768 Senior Member
    So, if they don't consider it, what do they look at?
  • VelaenOscuridadVelaenOscuridad Registered User Posts: 177 Junior Member
    They do consider GPA, but unlike many schools, they really place a lot of emphasis on course load and showing interest. They don't want people to think that just because they got a few Bs in high school, that they have no chance at Olin. Sometimes kids in high school just slack off for no reason even though they are brilliant and put massive effort into other activities. Olin doesn't assume that someone with a 3.5 is lazy, just like they don't assume someone with a 4.0 will make a great engineer. That's why they say GPA isn't reported. Saying that, most students at Olin did have a very high GPA because they like to learn and they wanted to try hard at their classes in high school because they were interested in the subject matter.
  • spiraloflifespiraloflife Registered User Posts: 110 Junior Member
    They consider GPA and SATs- but those aren't the only things that define you. It's more important to have a student that is passionate and fits well with Olin than a student that spends all day locked up in his or her room. We have a lot of highly intelligent people here; just because you got a B in a class doesn't mean that you won't fit or that you can't make just as valuable a contribution.

Also, keep in mind that if that GPA is correct, that's still unweighted. This means that what brings it down to a 3.9 could be "lower" grades in upper level classes. I'm not saying this to make you feel like you won't get in, but do remember that the pool is still highly competitive.
  • KamikazewaveKamikazewave Registered User Posts: 874 Member
    Last time there was a letter out saying that average SATs were around 2350...at least that's what I heard.
  • spiraloflifespiraloflife Registered User Posts: 110 Junior Member
    Not quite.

"The median SAT score for this class is 2210. The mid-50% SAT range for this class is 2090-2350."
This discussion has been closed.