Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

FAFSA and Olin

The SpeakerThe Speaker Registered User Posts: 184 Junior Member
edited March 2008 in Olin College
Right, so, does anyone know when Olin wants the FAFSA submitted by? I've searched this forum and on google using various combinations of Olin and FAFSA, all to no avail!

Perhaps there is no particular deadline?

On a pseudo-semi-sort of related note about college and money, I read somewhere that the scholarship is meant for eight consecutive semesters at Olin, period. I believe, if I read correctly, that study away wasn't covered by it, but did count as one of the semesters. A study away is then entirely student-funded? Also, does this mean no "work for semester" "school for a semester" can be done?

Muchos thanks.
Post edited by The Speaker on

Replies to: FAFSA and Olin

• elladorkesselladorkess Registered User Posts: 238 Junior Member
    I would send in the FAFSA when you send in the others. They don't usually process aid until afterwards (I actually didn't know what aid was offered until after I checked the yes box).. or at least in my case. I know there's an actual deadline, which is different for incoming freshmen and upperclassmen. I believe it was due April 17 two years ago, so it should be around that time for you as well, although with all things at Olin- things change. Check with the Financial Aid office, and Admissions probably has some insight and can chime in.
    Study away's tuition _can_ be covered with the Olin scholarship. Many tuitions abroad are dirt cheap compared to Olin's, and personally, I'd rather take a leave of absence and go study away with my own money. Room and board is on your own dime, of course, unless you get grants or what not. I'm not sure how financial aid applies. I'm not sure what "work for semester" or "school for a semester" is. If you mean taking a semester or a year off, quite a proportion of students here are doing it to do some really cool stuff; start a business, work on a cool internship, work on projects, etc. and then go back to school to finish off their degree. It's pretty much impossible to graduate early. If you mean working on campus, that can definitely be arranged. =)
    Good luck!
  • chrisdchrisd Registered User Posts: 497 Member
    When my daughter did a study abroad semester, all costs were on us. But, at least at that time, there were a few foreign universities that Olin had tuition agreements with, so no tuition cost for Oliners.
  • leftcoasterleftcoaster Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    When my son was our only college student, we didn't need to submit a FAFSA to Olin. When our second son entered college, we found that it was necessary to submit the FAFSA to Olin so his expenses would be considered at college #2.
  • OlinAdmissionOlinAdmission College Rep Posts: 43 Junior Member
    Our Financial Aid Manager recommends - or rather recommended! - February 15th... but essentially as soon as you can. ;)

Check out the Financial Aid page on our website for more information.

Good luck,
    Allison
  • crazyyakcrazyyak Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
    Feel free to message me if you have any more questions about study away or planning for it. Tasmania is fabulous... :)

-Molly '09
This discussion has been closed.