Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Negative Response from Prospective Employers to an Online Degree

Dan45678Dan45678 Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
edited May 2011 in Online Degrees
Has anyone experienced this? I am one class away from a Bachelor's degree from Thomas Edison State College. I am currently in the military, so I won't be applying for a job any time soon. Has anyone had a bad experience with a potential employer?
Post edited by Dan45678 on

Replies to: Negative Response from Prospective Employers to an Online Degree

• cptofthehousecptofthehouse Registered User Posts: 26,432 Senior Member
    It depends on the employer. I don't know if a degree from TESC is going to elicit any reaction over a non on line course that is not so well known.

My close friend had to have a master's for the position she has. She happens to have one from a correspondence school back before the on line days. It's a school that is now defunct and I've never heard of it before. But it filled in that blank and she is working at a major university in administration at a job she would not have gotten otherwise.

But that is not to say that there are situations where it can be an issue. I personally would not worry about it.
  • Dan45678Dan45678 Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
    Thanks for your reply. Your thoughts echo my own on this matter.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 28,310 Senior Member
    TESC is working hard to make the ed have a recognized value while the whole concept of online ed is still new. And, it has "state" in the name. Congrats for following the program through.
  • Dan45678Dan45678 Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
    Thank you, LF.
This discussion has been closed.