Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Harvard Extensio School VS. Lesser Four-Year University

bluebook123bluebook123 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
edited November 2012 in Online Degrees
I wanted to know which would be a better option: Pursuing an ALB (BA) from Harvard Extension School or going to a community college for two years and then attempting to transfer to a four-year univeristy.

I am considering going to a Mass. community college like Middlesex Community College or Bunker Hill Community College and then transfering into UMass or maybe even Haravrd.

Assuming I can't transfer into Harvard, what's going to get me a job: A BA from Harvard Extension School or a BA from UMass (Amherst, Lowell, or Boston?)?

I don't care about of the facilities in each place or an individual's experience WHILE STUDYING THERE- I care about what employers think of each degree and how they treat you AFTER GRADUATION.

All said and done - the real world really is what matters.

Harvard Extension School and Harvard University are NOT the same thing. Would an employer consider an HES degree or would I be better of with something from UMass Boston?

If it helps, I want to major either in History of Mass Communications and minor in Creative Writing.
Post edited by bluebook123 on

Replies to: Harvard Extensio School VS. Lesser Four-Year University

  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 12,062 Senior Member
    Harvard Extension School and Harvard University are NOT the same thing

    Harvard Extension School is part of Harvard University and you receive a Harvard degree. HES is not the same as Harvard College. HES is intended for part time ADULT students, not someone trying to get a Harvard degree through the back door.
  • bluebook123bluebook123 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Honestly, I don't want a Harvard degree through a backdoor. I want a cheaper education for the first two years of college.

    This can either be done through online courses at HES or another school followed by the fulfilling the on-campus requirement. Or it can be done by going to community college for two years and then transferring to a four-year university.

    The reason I looked into HES rather than other online schools IS because it has the "Harvard" nametag but, if I had to rephrase the question, I would put it like this:

    "What's taken more seriously by employers: An online bachelors degree offered from a prestigious university or a degree from a lesser known college?"

    And no, according to most employers, they don't look at HES and Harvard U as the same thing. This is because HES apparently doesn't require SAT scores.
  • nakorurunakoruru Registered User Posts: 142 Junior Member
    Remember, the degree you get from Harvard Extension School is the
    Bachelor of Liberal Arts in Extension Studies.

    Harvard really wants to make it clear to the world that you got your degree from the Extension School, not from Harvard College. Whereas a Harvard College student earns, say a Bachelor of Arts in Computer Science, you get your Extension Studies degree, despite the fact that you are studying software engineering.
  • compmomcompmom Registered User Posts: 8,554 Senior Member
    The course selection at Harvard Extension, in terms of a cohesive major, is not good. UMass, on the other hand, including UMass Boston, offers thorough and excellent major programs in specific subjects, and your BA in that major reflects that. UMass also offers all the other kinds of support and activities of an undergrad experience. I would definitely choose community college and state college or university.
  • nyvremnyvrem Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    If you're using the ALB as a stepping stone into graduate school, HES would be decent since you have opportunity to do research and there's some special options for HES students. The cost for the classes, is about $250/credit, that's quite reasonable.

    Why not take the CC route - after getting your AA, apply into schools that offer what you want. You don't need to narrow your search down to just these 2 schools. Besides, within the next 2 years, your options might have changed. And while you are at CC, you can always sign up for a class or 2 at HES as a non-degree seek to get a feel of how the classes are conducted and if it suits you. If you really love how class are done, then you could start your application into HES as a transfer student.

    Sidenote: To enter HES, you need to complete 3 courses with a B average. So you could still study at a CC and start your 3 classes at HES that's needed for admission.
This discussion has been closed.