right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Join us for a LIVE webinar Friday, April 3 at 3pm ET to hear from admission officers on how COVID-19 is impacting admissions at schools. REGISTER NOW and let us know what questions you have and want answered.
As schools continue to announce their decisions, we put together the Class of 2024 RD Discussions Directory. Connect with fellow applicants NOW!

Can I attend a University and take a seperate course or minor in a different one?

maurkaymaurkay 3 replies6 threads New Member
I'm having a bit of a dilemma here.
The closest University to where I live would be ASU. However, ASU is a little intimidating to me. I've been around ASU and I dislike the extremely large size, and I'm not comfortable living in an environment that can, at times, be quite chaotic. ASU is sort of known as a party school, after all. So I'm steering a little more towards Grand Canyon University, which (from what I've seen) seems to be a more suitable college for me. The environment seems more safer and peaceful (especially since it's a private college), and its Christian heritage aligns with my values.

But, I am also interested in ASU's "Slavic Studies" minor. It's been my wish to study abroad in Poland for quite some time now, but only ASU and UofA offer study abroad programs in Poland. I know I definitely won't be attending UofA because it's too far, and I don't really want to attend ASU either. I want to attend GCU but I also really want to study abroad in Poland. But unfortunately I haven't found anything other than a Spanish degree on GCU's website.

Is there a way I can possibly attend GCU and minor in Slavic Studies at ASU at the same time? I'm sure online might be an option. But I'm not sure, that's why I'm asking. Thanks.
2 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Can I attend a University and take a seperate course or minor in a different one?

  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 24031 replies18 threads Senior Member
    You can't be a degree seeking student at two schools at the same time. However, it is likely you can do a study abroad program though ASU for a year or a semester. You might be able to arrange that through GCU or just apply to ASU and transfer the credits back to GCU. You won't get an official minor, but will get the same knowledge.
    · Reply · Share
  • happy1happy1 23506 replies2333 threads Senior Member
    edited September 2018
    You cannot minor at a school where you are not studying for a degree. But having a minor isn't a big deal -- the important thing is you get the knowledge and experiences you seek.

    If you want to take classes at another college and get credit for them towards graduation, you should get the classes approved in advance by your home college.

    If you want to study abroad in Poland I would suggest contacting the Study Abroad Office at Grand Canyon University to ask if they have any programs there or if you can take an abroad program affiliated with another college and get credit.
    edited September 2018
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity