right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

Best Liberal Arts Major?

PaintallthestuffPaintallthestuff 317 replies22 threadsRegistered User Member
edited June 2013 in Other College Majors
Is there a liberal arts major (social science, language, area study, etc.) that is considered better than the others [in your opinion]? If so, why?
edited June 2013
9 replies
Post edited by Paintallthestuff on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Best Liberal Arts Major?

• nicedayniceday 2406 replies92 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    At many LACs there is a major with a reputation for being relatively easy. Psych has that reputation on some campuses.
    · Reply · Share
  • notsurewhatusernotsurewhatuser 25 replies10 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Economics, if I think you know what you mean by better. It's certainly not the most interesting of the liberal arts majors, though.
    · Reply · Share
  • PavlovianPavlovian 10 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
    Completely subjective. Depends on what you do with it, what you get out of the program, and what your personal goals are.
    · Reply · Share
  • alainkalaink 141 replies36 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    ^^This. Although a case for economics can still be made. It may not be very quantitative at the undergrad level, but it's still more quantitative than the other social sciences/humanities (that's what I'm assuming is meant here by "liberal arts," since math is also a liberal art). In addition, many econ majors also take accounting/finance courses, which can also be immediately useful after graduation.
    · Reply · Share
  • jbrynsvoldjbrynsvold 60 replies2 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    All liberal arts education is good, but I'd say the top degrees would be any natural science, if you are looking for practical application for a job. These are in high demand and will give you the best chance of earning a steady income.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 77733 replies678 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Note that math and science are part of the liberal arts. Some students like those subjects enough to major in them.

Regarding economics, the level of math required varies. Some schools' economics majors require only a semester or year of frosh calculus, while others require more advanced math like multivariable calculus, differential equations, etc., and others have options to do either less math or more math. All do require statistics, although the more math versions of the major may require more mathematical statistics courses. Preparation for PhD programs in economics should include more math, even if not required at your undergraduate school.

All social studies majors will find statistics useful.

Which major is "better" depends on the individual student's preferences, abilities, and goals.
    · Reply · Share
  • UltimabladeUltimablade 471 replies114 threadsRegistered User Member
    Philosophy majors make more money than most of the other LA's.
    · Reply · Share
  • perazzimanperazziman 2357 replies63 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    The best major is a subject you enjoy studying and for which you have demonstrated some aptitude and achievement. So, the best major is different for different people in my opinion. For example if you are good with math, pick something like economics or business. If you have good verbal skills then pick subjects such as history, political science etc.
    · Reply · Share
  • turtlerockturtlerock 1113 replies71 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    In my opinion:
    Philosophy, because my wife has a degree in Philosophy.

Next would be Economics, because I am an Economics major.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity