Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Psychology vs. Social Work?

forensicwhiz94forensicwhiz94 Registered User Posts: 135 Junior Member
I'm currently a freshman in college. I am planning on getting a dual degree in Psychology and Information Science, but today my abnormal psych professor mentioned something about being a Social Worker. I had never really taken it into consideration, but this afternoon I have been doing research on the job.

I am unfamiliar with the exact role of a social worker, but from what I have gleaned from some google searches, I can surmise that a social worker is focused on helping clients (whomever they may be) become better people in society, or helping people improve themselves.

I am not completely set on doing any sort of therapy, which is what it seems social workers mostly do. I want to go into some sort of federal government, maybe federal law enforcement, which is why I thought a Psychology degree (and then MA, or PhD/PsyD) would be good, because I could end up doing research, *or* I could end up doing some sort of therapy or clinical work.

What exactly is the difference between a psychologist and social worker? From my personal goals (working in the government), which degree would be best for me?
This discussion has been closed.