Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Social work and the health-care assumption?

HatsukoiHatsukoi Registered User Posts: 105 Junior Member
edited August 2013 in Other College Majors
I was wondering if an undergraduate in Social work assumes a health-care related practice. I plan to have my undergraduate major done in Social work in order to get a Masters and go into Advising/Counseling (as that is what my friend in the university I'm going to recommended), but I don't want to only take health-care related classes and have others assume I want to go into health-care.

I was wondering what others think and if that is a correct choice for me to take (picking that major, compared to something like Communications/Psychology).
Communications at my school is way too correlated with journalism and technological media, while I heard Psychology will hardly get you a decent job until you get your PhD (which I do not plan to get, as I am stopping at either Bachelor or Masters, most likely Masters though).
Post edited by Hatsukoi on

Replies to: Social work and the health-care assumption?

• zapfinozapfino Registered User Posts: 2,835 Senior Member
    Social work does not assume a health-care related practice. At the master's level, some programs might offer some specialization options if you wanted to focus on medical social work, but that's not typical.

While many social workers do "counseling" as part of their work, there are other options for counseling at the master's level, including counseling psychology, school counseling, and rehab counseling. People who enter master's programs in those fields might have a variety of undergraduate major, though psychology is probably the most common one.
This discussion has been closed.