right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Spain? Italy? Hawaii? Where do you want to travel WHILE getting college credit? REGISTER NOW for a virtual College Fair on Sept. 29!
PARENTS4PARENTS: AfroPuffMom is the mother of two boys, a college junior and a high school junior. She has extensive experience reviewing applications for high-achieving, first-generation students. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our September Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

public health and pre-med?

virgosunvirgosun 35 replies9 threads Junior Member
Hey everybody! I was just wondering if public health is a good major for pre-med? As opposed to something like biology. I just worry about whether it would be too difficult to balance the classes for a public health major while also completing classes for premed. Also- does a public health major look ok/good to med schools? FYI- I’m looking at mostly medium sized universities (UPitt, UMiami, WVU, U of South Carolina, GW, Georgetown, Emory, Lehigh).

This is my first post (y’all do not want to know how long it took me to figure out how to make a post), so please let me know if I made any errors.
1 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: public health and pre-med?

• EllieMomEllieMom 1875 replies11 threads Senior Member
    My daughter graduated with a double major in microbiology and public health from University of Rochester (a school similar to the ones you've listed) a year ago. She had no problem finishing premed pre-reqs and had them done by second semester of sophomore year.

Conventional wisdom (which I agree with based on AAMC stats) suggests that major matters less than GPA and MCAT score when applying to med school.
    · Reply · Share