right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Get all the info you need to know to complete the FAFSA during our LIVE webinar Thursday, Sept 24, at 7pm ET. Hear from financial aid experts on deadlines, what documents you will need, and how your info will be used to calculate aid. REGISTER NOW and share your questions.
PARENTS4PARENTS: AfroPuffMom is the mother of two boys, a college junior and a high school junior. She has extensive experience reviewing applications for high-achieving, first-generation students. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our September Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

What major/ career would be good for me?

shelbyisconfusedshelbyisconfused 2 replies2 threads New Member
Hi my name is Shelby and lately I've been trying to figure out what major I would like to choose once I get to college. I know what I want to do is (probably) STEM based but I have some concerns there. I have been part of engineering programs in my county since grade school, but now with more research and actual experience, I'm starting to realize I absolutely hate physics. I just can't grasp it well enough to envision myself pursuing a career that heavily includes it, like electrical engineering (from what I've heard), which is what I had wanted to do for many years. I really do enjoy problem solving and I like calculus/ algebra a lot, and I also enjoy computer programming from the small amount that I have done, but I want to find a career/major that would be interesting to me. I hope someone is able to help at least point me in the correct direction, any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
5 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: What major/ career would be good for me?

• MWolfMWolf 2960 replies14 threads Senior Member
    If you like math, the first thought that comes to mind is Computer Science. Most focuses on the software, rather than the hardware, so, while you'll need a physics background, it isn't that extensive or deep.

Other fields could be in pure math or in applied math (like statistics or data science).

Do any of these sound appealing?
    · Reply · Share
  • aunt beaaunt bea 10449 replies73 threads Senior Member
    What country are you coming from?

Are you targeting US colleges for any reason?
    · Reply · Share
  • shelbyisconfusedshelbyisconfused 2 replies2 threads New Member
    I live in the U.S. and yes I am targeting U.S. colleges
    · Reply · Share
  • shelbyisconfusedshelbyisconfused 2 replies2 threads New Member
    Yes I've been looking into computer science and data science, but I don't know how to gauge if I'll really like it or not.
    · Reply · Share
  • 1Lotus1Lotus 376 replies25 threads Member
    edited September 9
    Look into becoming an actuary. My husband started out as engineering major and after weed out courses, looked into becoming an actuary and has never looked back. He has an amazing career/great pay/work-life balance. He was a math major but some schools offer majors in Actuarial Science.
    edited September 9
    · Reply · Share