Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Which language (Spanish, French, Chinese)?

bkxtriobkxtrio Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
edited August 2007 in Other College Majors
I have meet the competency requirement for Spanish, but I am wondering what language should I begin to study in college. I am wondering whether I should continue Spanish, start French, or maybe even Chinese. I get the feeling that it would be way easier for me to learn French tho. Any help or suggestions? Am I missing any important languages that would be useful for business? (I'm in Wharton if it matters)
Post edited by bkxtrio on

Replies to: Which language (Spanish, French, Chinese)?

• kolomkolom Registered User Posts: 355 Member
    I don't want to be rude, but another "which language thread"...

Everything depends on where you are going.
  • bkxtriobkxtrio Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    Yeah, well some unknown financial field (maybe ibanking, consulting). Also, I plan to live in the US or Europe. The question arose because there is ALOT of hype around learning chinese, but I can anyone give me valid reasons besides "newfound business opportunities." Honestly, french seems most useful to me, but others say otherwise. I am going to end up learning all three eventually, I just would rather spend more time on the one that's going to be most beneficial to me.

And as far as another which language thread: maybe I wasn't looking hard enough, but I haven't been able to find anything useful.
  • Mr PayneMr Payne Registered User Posts: 8,850 Senior Member
    French, easily. You won't become competent in Chinese without a large time investment.
  • BIGTWIXBIGTWIX Registered User Posts: 2,440 Senior Member
    Eenie meanie mine-ie mo. Thats what i always say.
This discussion has been closed.