Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

OC junior in the Columbus Opera the Secret Garden

NanENanE Registered User Posts: 129 Junior Member
edited November 2007 in Otterbein University MT
I found this little article and thought some of you might enjoy reading it!
Community Press - Highlands graduate's voice is no 'Secret'
Post edited by NanE on

Replies to: OC junior in the Columbus Opera the Secret Garden

• cartera45cartera45 Registered User Posts: 12,451 Senior Member
    How great for her! What a wonderful collaboration too.

I can't believe they are referring to Secret Garden as an opera though. I guess they used the term because it is playing at the Columbus Opera but I can hear the opera singers in the area typing letters to the paper right now.
  • NanENanE Registered User Posts: 129 Junior Member
    Yes, I thought that was a little strange too!
  • dancersmomdancersmom Registered User Posts: 582 Member
    Nan,

Thanks for the posting the news. It was nice to learn about Sarah's success. I have known her since she was in elementary school. She and my D used to be in ballet class together and they have performed together with our local professional children's theatre.
    and here's another article! It sounds very interesting.
    The Columbus Dispatch : Musical production a true cross-pollination
  • mezzomommezzomom Registered User Posts: 811 Member
    I'm so excited to read this! Because my daughter is fluent in ASL, we've always tried to attend shows with interpreters, but it is really hard to find shows that are shadowed. I'm really glad to see the effort being made to open up theatre to the Deaf community, as well as to open the eyes (ears) of the hearing to the language of the Deaf.

One of my daughter's few complaints about Otterbein is that although they offer ASL, they don't treat it as a foreign language for distribution requirements. ASL IS a language, with its own grammar, syntax and vocabulary, and she's mentioned to me more than once that she finds it disappointing that Otterbein views it as somehow academically sub-standard to spoken language. Whether she decides to agitate about this at any point remains to be seen, but I know it's something she's thought about quite a bit.
    That's a good pont Mezzo! I know Ohio State offers it as a foreign language.
    Forgot to add: We were very surprised to find out they don't offer Latin as a foreign Language. My D has to start all over with a new language as she took Latin in HS but she could take Italian and I'm sure that will be beneficial with Opera etc.
    NanE, I should check the course catalog for this, but I assume the vocal performance majors have to take Italian and German? My D switched to Italian for her senior year assuming she would need to take it in college.
    I left out French - Italian, German and French.
This discussion has been closed.