Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Scholarships you don't have to put towards college

emmy2001emmy2001 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
I have a way to pay for my college but I want to know what kind of scholarships I can get to make extra money for going to college

Replies to: Scholarships you don't have to put towards college

• thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 69,896 Senior Member
    Scholarships for COLLEGE are for college costs. In addition, any scholarships you receive from outside sources MUST be reported to your college. The college could choose to reduce your scholarship.

Also, many outside scholarships won’t award scholarships if the award will,mean the cost of attendance at college is exceeded.

If you want to make money while in college...get a job. It will benefit you in more ways than just earning money. It will help with time management, and with having something on your work resume.
  • aunt beaaunt bea Registered User Posts: 9,164 Senior Member
    If you need spending cash, why not get a job?
    You have the chance to do that over summer break and make $$$$. Plus you’ll develop references, friendships, etc. You’ll learn responsibility, punctuality, all kinds of stuff as mentioned by @thumper1.
    The main reason my middle daughter got a number of jobs in her labs at her college was because she had experience working several jobs with people, during her high school summers.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 18,181 Senior Member
    Lotto tickets?
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 37,483 Senior Member
    edited February 4
    Your question doesn't make sense. By definition, a college scholarship goes toward college costs.
    Are you asking about ways to have spending money in college?
    Are you asking about a scholarship to pay for books?
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 27,864 Senior Member
    Are you full pay and asking for ways to reduce that?
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri Registered User Posts: 7,099 Senior Member
    I'm not sure I understand your question. You have direct costs covered but you want spending money? Students usually get spending money from parents and/or by working a job. Are you looking for transportation money? I don't know if there are scholarships for that. How much money do you need and what is it for? If it's a substantial sum or is for something major (like travel costs), the college may not be affordable.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 83,651 Forum Champion
    Please clarify your situation.

What is your way to pay for college
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 18,181 Senior Member
    edited February 4
    There are scholarships that are really more open. Miss America awards money as scholarships and I don't know if there are a lot of restrictions. This woman got extra money every year http://money.cnn.com/2013/11/01/pf/college/college-scholarships/index.html

It really depends on the conditions on the outside scholarship. My daughter gets Florida Bright Futures which allows the school to decide on any restrictions. Most of the schools do not put restrictions on it and the students who have other scholarships get the cash. Daughter's school restricts it to tuition. Just my luck.