Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

A complete guide to Engineering/CS University Admissions in Pakistan

Replies to: A complete guide to Engineering/CS University Admissions in Pakistan

• linkinpark96linkinpark96 Registered User Posts: 102 Junior Member
    @Abdulahad29 Well of ITU graduates? Well I can't say as such because we're like the second batch that'll pass out and our seniors are still in final semester BUT the MS students did well, ITU's admin said there was almost a 90-100% job placement. I wouldn't worry much about the future recruitment though. If you have the skills and some prior experience, you can pretty much get a job within the arfa tech park and ITU's tag helps A LOT. I recently completed my internship at eLearn initiative and it was only offered to ITU students. So internships and opportunities keep popping around for ITU students.
    Oh that's cool! We can meet, if you'd like, to discuss university decision better?
    Absolutely! ITU has one of the finest faculty around and it's quite affordable too with all the scholarships and funding.
    Haha nothing personal here. :p Well it's not easy but definitely not as hard as in getting in FAST where teachers have swore an oath of not letting you cross 3.0 CGPA :p I have a cgpa of 3.3 atm and I am not a nerd or something. I just prepare for every quiz, do every assignment and prepare for the exams and that's pretty much it. Also the grading is relative so it depends on your class and competition too.
  • Abdulahad29Abdulahad29 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    I so wanted to come but unfortunately i have conveyance issues and can't come today.
    @Abdulahad29 haha it's okay, I think there will be another open day. You still can visit university any day though, just show your college card and they'll let you in.
  • gnubetagnubeta Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    @Abdulahad29 How's the "ragra". I have recently been told the lab instructors are doing nuces-fast class "ragra" as in sort of a friendly competition. :P How hard would it be to get maybe a 3.0 and be doing a couple of personal projects at the same time. Do you guys have enough time after all the class projects and college stuff ?
  • AbdullahaaaAbdullahaaa Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Are extra curricular activities and internships important for getting admission in universities like nust lums fast.
    No, they are not, in most cases. They certainly do give you a little bit of edge in comparison to others who have same academic background and grades at you but only at LUMS, no place else. In Pakistan, no university really cares about your extra curriculars.
  • proton2077proton2077 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    @linkinpark96 Im a A levels student and am intrested in studying Cs , I have applied in Comsats , Fast and ITu Lahore . I believe that I can get provisional admission in ITu(because its test is similar to a level syllabus) and COMSATSbut i think my A level grades may not meet the minimum requirement of average C tho i think my equivalence will be more than 60% so if i get into COMSATS and work hard , can i be succesfull in this field after graduating?
  • jshskznsizialzjshskznsizialz Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    How’s ITU in aspects of research. As I’m looking for a university for more practical implementation as compared to theoretical fatigues !
    To be very clear how’s the ratta system at ITU in your perspective. Plz cooperate and reply asap :)
    @proton2077 this would be a long discussion proton. I'd suggest you start a private conversation with me so I can answer properly.
    A short answer to your question would be: if you are above average in mathematics and have good problem solving skills, you'll be able to survive a CS degree healthily. Your A level grades would become pretty much irrelevant in university except maybe for Maths. That too only concepts of P3. Rest all maths is done from scratch in undergrad. You'll have to work hard any way so good luck!
    @jshskznsizialz ITU is one of the leading research-oriented universities of Pakistan at the moment. The faculty, research, publications etc is only matched by LUMS at the moment. If your plans are of going for MS and then a PhD then ITU would be the best fit for you. We started writing papers as early as in semester-2.

Ratta system is only there for intro courses like pak studies, mechanics (formulas etc). Once technical subjects like OOP, Data structures, Algorithms start, your critical skills are tested. Furthermore, it depends a lot on the professor and what kind of paper he sets. For example in my previous semester of Masters (also doing from ITU :P) our blockchain professor literally made the whole paper from slides. So it really depends. But overall the ratta culture is frowned upon and the first priority always is critical thinking. It's quite better than its peer universities in this regard. Hope this answers your question.
  • McgrindahMcgrindah Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    What about BNU? Is it any good?
    @Mcgrindah yes BNU's Comp Sci programme is also good, as reported by my friends studying there. The faculty is good and you get plenty of opportunities to improve your skillset
  • McgrindahMcgrindah Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    @linkinpark96 Thanks for answering mate. Would like to get an in depth review or something like that for bnu.
    @Mcgrindah kindly private message me, I'll give you details of my friend studying at BNU for details :)
  • Lord StarkLord Stark Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Hey @linkinpark96 I wanted to ask you wether if a person does inter in computer they'll be able to pass the interview (or the test) at ITU or Fast.... I'm a 9th grade student and planning to do ICS with Physics... Just curious.