Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is Engineering better than BSc Economics in Pakistan?

neekasticneekastic Registered User Posts: 211 Junior Member
I need some serious help here asap, would (Electrical/Mechatronics) Engineering from NUST or COMSATS would be a better career choice than Bsc Economics-Maths from LUMS or LSE? Regarding scope of it.

Replies to: Is Engineering better than BSc Economics in Pakistan?

• Aysha2404Aysha2404 Registered User Posts: 22 Junior Member
    Engineering from Nust in pakistan whereas economics from lums is ranked 1st by qs rankings in pakistan..it all depends on your aptitude and interests..scope is made by ypu,not by your field
  • neekasticneekastic Registered User Posts: 211 Junior Member
    @Aysha2404 but thinking of the future, does Economics have a better scope in Pakistan or Engineering?
    @neekastic as I have told u before,I am from fsc pre medical(u know our country rush after medical field) .Even than,I was recommended by almost everyone having fururistic approach that the coming age is of economics and computer science because we lack experts in that field.....my acquaintance s have bachelors in economics from lums and they are earning 6 /7 lac per month .and after masters in public policy(MPP)you can earn 15/20 lac easily....depending on your professionalism ofcourse....another interesting fact is that economics is the bestest way to go for civil service.....a substantial number of civil servants in Pakistan are from economics background(lums students have a lion share in CSs seats)...the choice is yours....I dont know about engineering much
    @Aysha2404 Btw what are you doing? Did you pursue economics and your colleagues who are earning after bachelors from LUMS, what kind of jobs are they into ?
    @neekastic Alhumdulilah and IA I will be joining lums class of 2023 this sep :wink: [...they are uber direcors,working with careem ,some of them are policy makers working with the government or civil servants.I even know some people who are working at lucrative posts in IMF or world bank too...it all depends at you at the end....even the owner of Monal group has a bachelor in economics from lums in 2002...
    @Aysha2404 This gave me hope. Thanks man. Did you already get answered by LUMS? I’m waiting for my decision
    @neekastic .yup.I have got my decision on 22nd april.IA u will be joining lums soon
    @Aysha2404 I hope so. In sha Allah. Can I ask what were your credentials?
    96 in matric
    90 in fsc
    1240 in sat march and 17'on essay
    Mghss econ
    Woahhh. You’ve got way too good scores man.
    Ik it’s pretty weird of a question but I’m v confused so I need help with a decision. Ik I’m interested in Econ. I’ve taken a short course on EdX as well. But my brother wants me to go for engineering as he’d be aiding me for my masters abroad and get a job like his. Should I risk an already promised thing for my interest? Like I don’t even know what happens after I graduate from LUMS.
    And also, I’ve 93% in Matric, 80% in Fsc pre engineering and 1300 on SAT with a total of 19 in the essay. Do you think I would get in?
    @neekastic you have amazing credentials MashaAllah.IA u will get in what about extracurricular s and personal statement???
    @neekastic idk much but you will excel in your career inly when you will have interest???how long can you can go against your interests.....I also faced such a dilemma....so just pray to Allah to guide you what is in your best interest..inly Allah knows at what you can excel.(lums se acceptance usi main aye jo apke liye behtareen h)
    @neekastic there is a group on fb.named ''lums NOP prep and updates''.you can join that group...there are many seniors of lums there and lums graduates .they will help you surely in guiding u