Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Fox won't be airing Obama

bulletandpimabulletandpima Registered User Posts: 9,826 Senior Member
Michael Calderone's Blog: Fox won't air Obama presser - POLITICO.com

For me I am joyous over it, not only because I am a Lie to Me fan, but I don't have to endure another briefing/press conference. Honestly, this will be his 3rd nationally televised press conference...enough already! I read the news, I get it and I have not been in a coma ...I don't need a re-cap of the last 100 days.

What is comical to me is the WH says they don't want to make the 100 day marker a big deal, but yet they are going to pre-empt regular programming so we can hear what we already know! He does realize he won the election and has a strong approval rating, Right?
Post edited by bulletandpima on

Replies to: Fox won't be airing Obama

• razorsharprazorsharp Registered User Posts: 6,161 Senior Member
    I agree with Fox's decision. They make millions of dollars from advertising but make none from Obama (since Fox isn't getting a bailout like the banks and car companies). Pres. Obama almost ruined American Idol's schedule a few weeks ago. I fail to see why he has to screw up Lie to Me's schedule. Can't he save it for the weekend or put it on CSPAN?
  • HuntHunt Registered User Posts: 26,917 Senior Member
    You know, there was something about this story that tickled my memory. Sure enough:
    PRESIDENT BUSH'S NEWS CONFERENCE: TELEVISION; How the President's News Conference Ended Up Live on Four Networks - New York Times
    Personally, I've never understood why any of these things had to be carried live by more than one network.
  • BerkeleyOrBustBerkeleyOrBust Registered User Posts: 270 Junior Member
    Makes sense, a fake news channel decides not to air the news. No harm, No foul.

And the president's speech broadcast on all the live networks in tradition of when it first started happening in the 1960's, and the country actually all tuned in to watch. Before 500+ channels and apathy towards government.

Just for the record, I am not a "lefty" I am an independent that thinks both sides ahve good ideas and bad ideas. However, you do not have to be a liberal to see that the garbage FOX news spews as a tabloid network has been dumbing down America for the last 10 years.

I think all 24 cable news is bad for America. CNN, MSNBC, and especially FOX.
  • bulletandpimabulletandpima Registered User Posts: 9,826 Senior Member
    The nonpartisan research group Center for Media and Public Affairs along with California's Chapman University released a study that found the nightly newscasts devoted 27 hours, 44 minutes to Pres. Obama's presidency in his first 50 days. That compares to 7 hours, 42 minutes for Pres. George W. Bush and 15 hours, 2 minutes for Pres. Bill Clinton during the first 50 days of their first terms

Evening Newscasts Have Covered Obama More Than Bush & Clinton Combined - mediabistro.com: TVNewser

I just can't understand why he believes that the avg American doesn't know what has occurred in the past 100 days.

If I could say one thing it would be enough already, where does it end? What exactly is this press conference going to accomplish? You are going to inform people who haven't read a newspaper, turned on a radio or tv in the past 100 days, and that does exactly what?

Berkely...this is not Fox News, which will be carrying it, it is their entertainment side...i.e. NBC and MSNBC.
  • razorsharprazorsharp Registered User Posts: 6,161 Senior Member
    a fake news channel decides not to air the news

You are saying you don't know the difference between the Fox Television Network which broadcasts American Idol, etc. and the Fox News Network which broadcasts news? Try re-reading the article again.
    Just for the record, I am not a "lefty"

But you want to go to Berkley? Sounds pretty lefty to me.
  • mewruemewrue Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
    I think it's really funny that people are complaining that their mindless TV shows (I mean, come on, American Idol??) would have been cut off by something relevant and important to our society...Really shows that we have our priorities straight!
    Everyday I read Drudge, Politico, WSJ, WaPO, watch Morning Joe and Fox and listen to America Left and Right on Sirius. I am tuned into our govt. I am so tuned in that I am tired of seeing/hearing/reading about Obama, Clinton or Gibbs on my tv/radio/newspaper everytime I turn around.

You really have to be living under a rock or just waking up from a coma not to have the WH actions shoved down your throat. Hell I know about Bo the dog, Michelle's designers,her arms and J Crew , Sasha and Malia going to school during a snow storm and the fact that his crackberry is almost ready. I am at the point that I expect the media to start announcing the Obama's daily meals including the dog food Bo eats!

What exactly will he say tomorrow night that anybody who watches Nightly News with Charles Gibson, Brian WIlliams or Katie Couric hasn't heard already?

Is he going to acknowledge that we still do not have an HHS or a Surgeon General?
    Is he going to state whether he instructed Holder to bring up charges against Bush administration?
    Is he going to discuss how GM will be able to sell 1 Pontiac in the future while they will still be producing autos for 2010 line?
    Is he going to explain how he is going to pass the health care program without republican support or why he has elected this route?
    Doubt it!

Instead we are going to hear a recap of what has occurred! I don't need a pep rally from the President!
  • HannaHanna Registered User Posts: 14,518 Senior Member
    "I don't have to endure another briefing/press conference."

When do you ever have to endure them? Change the channel. I haven't watched a press conference live in ten years. Maybe you need TiVo.
  • HuntHunt Registered User Posts: 26,917 Senior Member
    Do the 27 hours of coverage of Obama's presidency include coverage of the financial crisis? If so, it's not too surprising. I'm sure Bush's presidency got a lot of coverage the 100 days after 9/11.

But I would be perfectly happy if the press conference were covered by only one network (it should be a broadcast network, though, not just a cable channel like C-SPAN.)
    I have TiVo, have had it for yrs, and yes, I will be watching either Tivo or Lie to Me. I am just asking why the need for it, 100 days and 3 prime time conferences in becoming overkill. Basically he is taking center stage 1x a month. Again I state ENOUGH! Robert Gibbs gives daily briefings, our news covers every action, what exactly is the reason for him to address the American public for the 4th time in less than 4 months? STop talking to us, instead spend that time getting an HHS or a Surgeon General.
  • nbachris2788nbachris2788 Registered User Posts: 4,447 Senior Member
    This makes FOX News more irrelevant as a source of real news than it already is.
  • cartera45cartera45 Registered User Posts: 12,449 Senior Member
    bandp - he is obviously not talking to you.
  • enderkinenderkin Registered User Posts: 1,667 Senior Member
    Why do two channels need to be interrupted? Fox News is still carrying it, so why should Fox? It's not like ABC Family is running this release, right?

P.S. Hey guys, I'm back. Looks like this place hasn't changed at all =D
  • 07DAD07DAD Registered User Posts: 5,169 Senior Member
    Same reason for the fireside chats. Reassuring to some and to help forward an agenda. I was in the West Wing on a evening tour when President Bush gave his stem cell talk from Crawford. It was on the monitors in the White House. The person giving the tour mentioned the fireside chat as an effective tool.

Fireside chats - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  • LogicWarriorLogicWarrior - Posts: 3,670 Senior Member
    if they're trying to make a joke by airing "lie to me" instead of the press conference they could have done it already by showing "american idol" instead of it.
This discussion has been closed.